Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top 10 Reasons to Buy a Small (when you already have a Medium & Mini)

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, my friends, I need your help here. I told my wife last night that I want to buy a Small Egg (found one at a local dealer with nest, daisy wheel, thermo, and old style hinge for $310--is that a good deal??). Well, she thought I was crazy, and could not see why I would need (hmmm, maybe that's the key word here, maybe I just really want another Egg) a Small when I already have a Medium and Mini. I tried to explain how the Small is the perfect size when just cooking for 2 people, but I don't think she bought it.[p]So, I need some good reasons why one should buy a Small when he or she already has a Medium and Mini. Perhaps I can sway her vote if I have a top 10 list of good reasons . . . [p]TRex

Comments

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    TRex,
    #1. Because it is less expensive than a large BGE.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    TRex,
    Yeah, I'd say that is a good deal with a nest. My dealer had a small with the old hinge and no nest for the same price.[p]In no particular order:
    1. Small is small enough to take with you but large enough to do some real cooking for a small group.
    2. Sometimes you want to cook one thing at one temp and another at another temp.
    3. Sometimes you just need the additional capacity.
    4. Because I luuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvv you honey![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • TRex,
    how about some of these:[p]better to spend the money on another egg than spend it on my girlfriend in nogales. .. [p]better to spend the money on another egg than buy that gun and go 'postal'. . . [p]honey, think, you will spend less time cleaning the small than you do the medium. . .[p]i have to have it to balance the deck. . i.e. one medium equals one small and mini. .. .otherwise the deck may crack and you will develop a sink hole in the back yard. . .[p]the guys on the 'forum' won't be my friends anymore if i don't have one. .. [p]tell her that if she'll let you have another egg. .. you'll let her buy some more clothes and shoes (nah that won't work, cause she'll buy that stuff anyway). .. .[p]i'm sure i'll think of more later. .. . .[p]good luck[p]max

• Kip,
    gee, i didn't think of that one, and that is the perfect logic for most wives (gee, now don't go after me molly,kat and tonya). . . :-)

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    TRex,
    Tell her
    Mrs.Medium and Miss Mini are lonely and so you want to get the complete family, Jr.(small) is next and down the road you can save for Mr. Large (papa)[p]Does she collect anything??? salt&pepper shakers or a set of dishes,whatever? You just want the complete set. HeeHeeHeee[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• TRex,[p]I can understand how that would be a tough sell. I've got a Large and my wife would think I was crazy if I tried talking her into another one. You've already tried to sell her on the size of the small by itself...about the only other angle I can think of is to sell the size of all combined if entertaining or doing different dishes at the same time that require different temps.[p]That said, I still don't like your chances. :)

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    TRex,
    Just tell her because KennyG,Spin,YB,Mr.Toad and 50 more of your friends have one.
    Larry

[ul][li]My Eggs[/ul]
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    TRex,
    Because you can.....there should be no more need to explain/justify anything beyond that!

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    TRex,
    Do what I do when I get a new guitar.
    Sneak it into the house (or in your case the deck) and hope she won't notice.
    If she does notice say, "Oh, that has been around forever. I suprised you never noticed before" or perhaps, "I am borrowing that from Joe, as his doctor told him to cut down on red meat and he doesn't want the temptation around".
    If that fails, bow your head and sheepishly say "I'm sorry, honey but don't they all look cool sitting there together."

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    TRex, because you don't have one. And we all know "He who has the most toys when he dies, wins!"

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    ravnhaus,
    Along with your line of thinking there is a guy I work with uses says "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission."
    Julie
    P.S. Just remember it works both ways.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    TRex,
    "Reasoning" and "wife" are tough to use in the same sentence. Sure they reason. But not like we do. Just get it![p]Yet you can, and should, be commended for keeping her opinion in mind!
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    TRex,
    If you're a sports nut, you HAVE to have one to take to the games for the tailgate parties. If you do any camping or motorhoming, you need one for that. Mrs LoveHandles says you need one so you can have intimate dinners for 2 in your back yard when the moon is full!!!

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    TRex,
    If you think that's hard, try convincing her that you need a large BGE, when you already have a small as well as a...um...other large ceramic cooker. That's what I had to do at Eggfest Y2K3. Alright, I'll admit Tonia didn't require that much persuasion, bad example.[p]Okay, the medium is really too bulky to move by youself, you could hurt your back, or drop the egg. The Mini is just too small for some cooks. You NEED the small for camping, tailgaiting, or maybe if you have to take it to work for your lunch break!
    [/b]
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    TRex,
    Don't give her any reason. Do what I did when I decided I wanted a Mini to compliment my Large. Next time there's a gift giving occasion and she wants ideas, just tell her to give you the money she'd spend on a gift you might or might not want and spend it towards a small. Course you might have to wait a bit...[p]Kelly

• Bama Egger
    Bama Egger Posts: 137
    You could sell the mini on eBay for $300 and buy the small!!!
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    TRex,
    1. Ribs on the medium; SMOKED baked beans on the small.
    2. Pork Loin on the medium; four baked potatos on the small (don't want them smoked, do you?)
    3. Mexican meatloaf on the medium; corn casserole on the small
    4. Turbo filets on the small; grilled shrimp on the medium
    5. Smoked pork chops on the medium; baked apples on the small
    6. Smoked trout on the medium; rice casserole on the small
    7. Pork butt on the medium for TOMORROW"S dinner; four hamburgers on the small for TONIGHT.
    8. Chili on the medium; TEN hot dogs on the small.
    9. Pizza on the medium; fajitas on the small (ok, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here).
    10. The mini is great for overnighting, but the small is much better for extended camping trips (hope you guys go camping!).[p]A number of us have the large, small and mini combination. I use all of mine, but I use the small the MOST. And it is great to be able to do multiple cooks that the mini won't accomodate.

• Kip,
    LOL! How many times have we heard, "Look at all the money I saved by buying (fill in the blank) on sale!" That's logic she'll understand![p]BBS

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Thanks all of you for the overwhelmingsly supportive posts. I think my best plan is to take advantage of my upcoming birthday and just ask for money from everyone. Then, ooops, next thing you know there's a Small on the back porch. Where did that come from, honey? You shouldn't have![p]You guys are great - I laughed and laughed at these responses. Thanks again.[p]TRex
  • TRex,[p]Good plan. Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

• Steve-O
    RG,
    I have persued that plan for years when it comes to fly rods - and I have a ton of them! Fortunately, buy wife is very forgiving :-)

• Steve-O,[p]If you ever make it down Louisiana way and want to go fishing, I'm going to throw in a shameless plug. My father-in-law is an Orvis guide out of Slidell, and flyfishing is his specialty.
    [ul][li]info from Orvis site[/ul]
  • Steve-O
    RG,
    Thanks for the tip. I have wanted to fishing for red fish for a long time. My wife and I plan to retire in another year - maybe then . . . !