Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large v Medium BGE

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still undecided. Ravenhaus makes some good points for the medium. Any real disadvantages with the medium?

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Chuck,
    its not a large! unless you never plan to cook for a larger group of people, I would spend the extra couple hundred bucks...

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Chuck,
    I don`t have a medium so I`m not positive on this, but it seems to me that things like the plate setter wont fit in a medium..something to consider, if any can verify this..I have no idea how many other eggcessories are "large" specific...HTH[p]Wess

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    WessB,
    There is a plate setter available for the medium. It's in the accessories catalog.[p]TNW

[ul][li]BGE Catalog[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Chuck,
    If you end up like most of us, this first egg will only be the first of two, or three, or . . . With that in mind, a large and, eventually, a small, makes more sense than a medium and a small.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Chuck, just buy whatever you want!!! - it's not the end of the world, but unless you get careless with your BGE it will be on this earth longer than you will! So iffin the extra cash outlay is going to bother you NOW then buy the medium AND BE HAPPY, or buy the large AND BE HAPPY. [p]Please note I'm not being critical of you as 3 years ago I went through the same soul searching as you since it was just the two of us. In the end I went with the large...then I was hooked...and then I got a small...then my wife was hooked and gave me a medium. My advise?...loop back up to the start of this post! Go ceramic and all you'll be saying for 6 months is ooo ah, ooo ah, why did I wait so long????

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Steve-O,
    Personally I'm thinking a second large makes a lot of sense for me. I tend to cook for 20 or more people at a time when I have a Q party. Butts and briskets the day before, ribs and wings the day of...[p]You can use 15-inches of the large's grill and pretend it's a medium, but you can never make a medium's 15-inch grill into 18 inches. If you have the money, buy the large.[p]BBS-

• Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Chuck,
    I bought a large to start and have loved every minute of it. We have little get togethers with friends a lot and it works great for that. I am soon to be a proud owner of a small also. I plan to use it to take to tailgate parties and camping. I may end up using it at home often too, but whatever, I'm happy that I'm going to have both

• Steve-O
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I agree completely - I have a large, a small and a mini, as well as a chimea. Did you mean for this to go to Chuck?

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Chuck,
    If you have to sell the dog to buy the large......DO IT!

• Steve-O
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Oops! My fingers got ahead of my head - or my head was behind my fingers. Either way, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I see, now, what you are saying. Yes, if you host lots of large groups and need to increase your capasity quite a bit, another large makes sense - if you are inclined to spend the $$. Have you tried stacking two grills on your large? It would work for butts and brisket, I don't know about wings and ribs. There have been times when I have wished I had gotten a medium instead of a small for my second egg, but they have been few and far between. And when it's time to load that puppy into the back seat of my extended cab pickup, I will be real glad I have a small!

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Chuck,
    We are happy we bought the large. Of course we have kids, pool and lots of summer fun. We built the cart and I would recomend doing this. The extra space has come in handy and it dresses the egg up too. We love our egg. Food tastes great.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Chuck,[p]I bought a Medium b/c they were on radical sale at the time. However, when doing big cooks, indirect setups, or trying to fit a whole brisket on the Medium, I find myself wishing I had purchased a Large.[p]Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Medium, and it works great for what I want to do 95% of the time. However, I now believe (and I think many would agree) that the perfect combination is a Large and a Small. I'm currently negotiating the purchase of a Small with my wife.[p]TRex