Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand New Hatchling here

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi from Midlothian, VA. My wife just gave me a Large Egg for my birthday. Got it out of the box and in the nest. Wanted to join up here and get in on the action. Long time propane griller. New to The Egg. Any pointers?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    read all the posts and go to links in monikers B)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't get rid of that gasser. You'll need it.

They make a great place to store all your grids and accessories.

Welcome to the nuthouse. Jump right in and take pics - we love to see each others' creations and ideas. There are some culinary geniuses that hang out around here - I've learned a bundle from reading their posts.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    two things

read all this

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

for egg info

and read this

http://www.wessb.com/

for eggfest photos and good recepies

there are several other places but i use them for specifics (i can't spell)

but naked whiz has soooo much info on the egg and the way to make you more knowledgebale about how the egg operates and teaches you how to operate the egg instead of the egg operating you.. also the lump database is so useful to figure out if you buy lump if it is any good... and it is real accurate

wess's site is more centered around being an egger. there are fest photos and so many of them show you what can happen if you stay around here and make a few friends. they will show you what happens at a fest and how much fun you can have at a fest ..also i was always able to follow wess's step by step directions in his "some of my cooks" section.. you will only find one picture of me on wess's site but maybe one day :whistle: :evil:

congrats on your first egg (i say first because if you get sick like alot of us you will own more than one eventually)

stick around there are alot of people here who will help you with the questions.... you will have them;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome! The first thing I would advise is getting used to adjusting the temps. Go outside with a couple beers and a prepared fatty and take the temp to 275F and stabilize. And then take it to 350, and stabilize, then lower it back to 275F and stabilize. You can throw the fattie on after you've gotten your smoke correct,and burned off the VOCs(volatile organic compounds), that way you'll have a snack to go with your experiment.

You'll do great! Ask any questions and many will help. again,Welcome!
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

I really just wanted to know the temperature for Kitten.
    Member since 2009
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You are going to do just fine, welcome!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    He can't spell cause he's a Steelahs fan. That and weekend warrior can't wash clothes :(
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Welcome, I joined the forum recently myself after hanging around for a year or two. Lots of information and good advise here. A good first cook is a whole chicken, inexpensive and easy. Good luck.
  • Big'un
    Options
    I'm hoping that "Kitten" is the name of your egg and not your recipe! :sick: :blink:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Come on Todd, indirect at 325 for 45 minutes then some Chipoltle Carnivore....hmmmm..now that's eating.. :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Your wife is a wise lady. She gave you a green egg and the family great eats. You will be hosting family get togethers. :)

I would add http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ to your list of sites to visit. There are others but you will discover them over time. Welcome aboard
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    dont be afraid to ask questions. you will get good advice here.
  • Big'un
    Options
    Yep..it'll make your tongue slap your brains around! Headed for bed. Almost got your cap done for Ocala!
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    Welcome 500!!!

The best advice I can give is to just follow the advice of the forum. Before you modify a cooking technique first master it the way the forum recommends. Ribs are easy and awesome. Spatchcock chicken is easy and awesome. As you become proficient at getting and holding your desired temp, your confidence and skills will improve. You WILL be a grilling god to your friends/acquaintances.
    Options
    Well my first cook on the egg went well. Cooked a 7# beer can chicken @ 350 degrees for about 1 hr. 45 min; 160 degrees in the breast. Used just a little mesquite and hickory smoke. Will use more next time as my confidence grows, but I did get some smoke flavor. It was moist and tender. Thanks for the advice so far by replies and email I've had here. Looking forward to more. Need to get some apple wood and do my ribs. Steak will be soon too. Liking the egg so far. Kittens beware! :evil:
    Member since 2009