Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do people lift the lid on your Egg?

WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was getting Lucy fired up to lay on some steaks for dinner. She was at around 650 when my friend went out to have a cigarette. When I got out there he commented on how hot the Egg was. I told him about the risk of flashes.

He said, "You need to put a warning sign on that thing I was getting ready to open it up to look inside."

Is it because I'm a girl? I would never touch someone elses grill when they weren't present. BAD MANNERS!!!

Comments

• My bro-in law, after the cook, but while running a test, just went over and lifted the lid. I didn't say anything, but thought "There goes about 75 degrees"...

Never touch a mans (or ladies) grill. EVER!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    he won't do it twice :woohoo:
  • I would'nt have warned him. One good facial hair and arm singing and he never would've opened it again. Reminds me of the time I threw my wife's expensive cashmere sweater in the dryer after the baby was born. Just tryin to help her out some. I have never done laundry again. :woohoo:
  • WW, Did the same thing with hubby's wool sweater as a newlywed :blush: he's done his own laundry for the past almost 28 years ;):lol:
  • Back in the old days (before the spring assist) people would open the Egg and immediately drop it because of a flashback and the owner would instantly think "SOME SOB BROKE MY EGG!!!" Sometimes just the rain cap would fall off and break.

But it's a good enough reason to pack a gun for situations like that.

Next on the menu: "A Lid-Lifter Who Should'a Known Better."

Spring "They Shoot Lid-Lifters, Don't They" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • I only have one person allowed to lift the lid on my egg and that is the neighbor. He has a large also and we often check each other's cooks out. I will end up with a cook and he will sometimes wander over and check out the nightly fare. I have been known to do the same.
  • directions to not open wouldn't work, either B) [as all us gals know (all together now, 1,2,3]: Men don't ask for directions) :laugh:)
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I think it is fairly natural reaction for a guy to pop the hood and see what's cooking. Doesn't make it the right thing to do it's just really common in my experience. I don't do it anymore after reading this forum.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Heh. Totally forgot about this but your post jogged my memory.

My first-born BGE was purchased in '99 and came with the old non auto-locking hinges.

One time while it was getting up to temp one of my buddies (also on a smoke break) lifted it up to take a peek as he hadn't seen the inside. On those old models they would lock in place but you had to manually pull the hinge forward a bit to get them to close. He didn't know that, used some muscle thinking it just closed hard, and managed to break/bend the hinges so it wouldn't close all the way.

It was a bear trying to finish the rest of dinner without being able to control the airflow and temp but it was a perfect excuse to shell out the money for the auto-locking hinge and band assembly that's on my oldest to this day. :laugh:
  • Now I'm a really wishin' I was closer. Sounds like you an me might be soulmates! :woohoo:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    All I have is a pellet gun, but that mixed with his mustache flaming should get my point across.

So the bottomline is for every Egg there's an idiot who will try to open it, so be on guard. The thought never crossed my mind.
  • Curiosity has killed more than just the cat. :woohoo:
  • Since this is The Chicken Ranch, my 'Girls' in the Chicken Coop have a job to do. When they're working, I turn on the "Girls Working" light:

GirlsWorkingSwitchisOn11-16-08.jpg

GirlsWorkingLight.jpg

That tells me and everyone at the Chicken Ranch to stay away from the 'Girls' until they're through with their business.

Seems to work.

Spring "Business Is Business" Chicken
  • Long long time ago, don't know how many people replaced bands that had the lever for a release. A person would open up the lid, then force it down without using the release lever. Most of my friends, if they are lifting the lid, they are probably taking it all. :woohoo: :woohoo: :(

Mike
  • You sure you're not from Salt Lake City with a switch like "girls working" ? or Vegas
  • Ain't been to none of those places so I don't rightly know what the Girls there do to make a living. But here they just work to keep the Boss happy.

Spring "Happy Days Are Here Again And Again And Again" Chicken
  • it has nothing to do with the um uhh boy/girl parts .
    would you walk in to someones elses kitchen and lift the lids or open the oven? i doubt it and i would not. that said there is some wiggle room for best friends or extra best friends ;) otherwise get out the bb gun
    bill
  • I've got one of those bands. My roomate decided he was going to throw some hot dogs onto the grill along with whatever I was smoking at the time. Unfortunately he didn't know how to put the lid down so just left it open (That's the kind of person he is). Next thing I know, i step out into my backyard and my egg is shooting flames. :angry:
  • I don't know how many times I screamed "NO". LOL Ex wanted to do wing throw down one time. She never closed the lid. :woohoo: :woohoo: Surprised the house is still standing.

Mike
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    OK, really think about this... man is on back porch, grill is going, smoke and smell.... how hard is it not to look??? it's a guy thing, if is has to be explained, well - you wouldn't get it anyway!!! :laugh:
    Kent Madison MS
  • One time I asked a friend to please keep an eye on the temperature and if it got to whatever degrees please call me. Sure enough, I went in the kitchen and came back out a few minutes later and the egg was #$&%$whatever degrees X 1000!!! Of course he didn't watch it or even look at it, and to this day I don't let ANY NON-EGGERS near my egg!! Yes, it was a male gender person so make your own assumptions.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    My friend.......happens all the time in this country......wish I could lock it sometimes.......father in law was the first with a terrible flash back....he is a lamb in front of the egg now..... :woohoo:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    You are right on, I would not touch any ones grill regardless of brand. They are the one cooking and unless I had asked first, it's a NO,NO.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • G-Dog
    G-Dog Posts: 3
    My Brother did it while I was ramping up for a T-Rex. Scared the crap out him and almost fell in the pool. LMAO :laugh:
  • My father-in-law not only opened my large BGE but also tried to move it across the patio while it was cooking!!! I called him a fuc%in' idiot and told him to keep his fuc%in' hands off my Egg or I'd break his fuc%in' head. I'm still pissed off about that incident and that was 18 months ago!

NEVER MESS WITH ANOTHER MAN'S EGG!!!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    That was wrong, and in bad form. In know about curiosity, but I also believe in common courtesy. I hope you didn't feed him!
  • You smooth talker you.

Kent
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    I think that most folks are very curious about the egg. Not sure if it's the shape or the color or what. About a year ago we were building our house and living in a old house right next to the site. I had my eggs sitting out behind the house. I don't know how many workers I saw walking over and looking, touching, opening the lid. I would just go out and give them a demo. Even cooked for them a few times too. They nicknamed me the ceramic dynamic. Only problem that I had was I came home and the sidewalk contractors crew had decided to move the large by the eggmates! Still unhappy about that move!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    That is a brave (stupid) man that would dare touch my Egg! :evil: All you need to do is Print this and post it.

Friday, April 20, 2007
    Al Roker's 5 Rules of Barbecue

1. Never Touch Another Man's Grill.
    I will be the first to admit that when it comes to cooking, I'm a bit of a control freak. I love folks hanging out in the kitchen while I cook, but I don't want any help. The same holds true at the backyard grill. Don't ask to help me cook. I would never think of touching your grill. I know that every inch of soot-and-grease-encrusted metal has been lovingly and patiently created by you. It's one of the manly arts. Ever heard of the old saying, "Too many cooks spoil the broth?" Here's another one: "Touch my grill or any of my utensils, they'll be calling you 'Stumpy'!

2. Do Not Use A Fork To Move Your Meat Around The Grill.
    Use tongs. If you pierce the meat with a fork, all those wonderful juices will run out onto the coals, cause some wonderful flare-ups, and leave you with grilled shoe leather. While your friends "Oooooo" and "Aaahhh" at the flames, you're ruining your meat and run the risk of setting your facial hair on fire.

3. Don't Keep Moving Your Meat Around The Grill.
    Once you slap it on the grill, just leave it, unless it either: (a) starts to burn and you have to move it to a cooler spot or (b) there's inclement weather and you are threatened by floods, locusts, lightning, or all of the above. It may be very satisfying to flip your burger and push it down on the grill. Know what that does? Causes flare-ups and dries out the meat. See Rule 2.

4. Do Not Wear An Apron That Says, "Kiss The Cook."
    If you want to invite ridicule, scorn, and derision, then by all means, wear something like the aforementioned apron or like attire. By the same token, I always love those pictures of barbecues in the glossy food magazines with people wearing designer sweaters tied around their necks and khaki slacks or skirts. Who are these people? What kind of barbecue are they at? They probably eat ribs with a knife and fork! Me, I love grilling in an old T-shirt and shorts. In fact, I usually wear those sport shorts that are good on land and water. If things get a little hot, I take a break from grilling and jump in the pool. But not for long, lest somebody think the grill needs tending. See Rule 1.

5. Don't Take It Too Seriously.
    Enjoy yourself. That's the deal with grilling and barbecue. Friends and family. Laughter and good times. It's not like being at those trendy downtown bars, where everyone is dressed in black and they all look like they need a cookie. Backyard cooking is folks who look like you and me, people we know, but more important, people we want to hang out with.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    My second cook on the egg was thanksgiving turkey.I am bringing in the bird and I asky sister who was outside to close it and put the top on forgetting how heavy the lid is.she dropped it hard but no damage.won't do that again