Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knuckle up when using a ribrack?

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to cook 3 racks of spares (trimmed) using a rib rack and I remember seeing on BBQ University that you want to keep the knuckle a certain way, I think it was up so that it bastes the meat. Am I right?
thanks
tim

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by knuckle....

But I can tell you that some folks turn the ribs (rotate them in the rack) once during the cook, and some folks never turn them.

If you are going to turn them, start with the big end down, so that after the turn it will be up. This makes the ribs easier to get out of the rack when they are cooked.

If you aren't going to rotate them, I would cook them with the big side up for the same reason as above.

Now, whether you turn or don't, you should still consider re-positioning the entire rack at least once curing the cook to balance out the cooking of the ribs.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    You're gonna get a dozen different answers on this one. Just do 'em like you think they should be done. The egg is gonna make 'em delicious anyway! :P