Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attention all New eggers!!!

Bootleg
Bootleg Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned my XL egg for almost 2 years and love her so much! And one problem that I have NEVER had is a melting gasket. You are probably thinking, "What is your damn point?" I visit the forum almost everyday and it may be my imagination but it seems like there are more people willing to take their brand new eggs to 500+ degrees straight out of the box. DON'T DO IT! Make sure you properly season your grill before taking her to the higher temps. Because when you don't the percentage that you will melt your gasket increases dramatically!

Bootleg
Evans, GA

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Bootleg.
    I have also not had any gasket issues, and I have 7 eggs. I think using smaller loads of charcoal makes a difference so you don't get flames licking the sky when you open the egg. I use smaller loads of charcoal for other reasons as well, as I get a cleaner more even burn. I know a lot of folks fill up the firebox no matter what they are cookin, but consider using just a bit more than you will need for your particular cook. Especially with a new egg.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Some more good advice. Thanks Chris!

Bootleg
    Evans, GA
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    That is good advise. I do believe though, that the ones that have the defective gasket *adhesive*, will fail no matter what, IMO. At least mine did, and I took all precautions to avoid it. The gasket itself is/was fine, it just fell off.
  • I tend to agree. I never had any problem going hot with any of my gaskets after I initially installed them. All my gaskets (including the ones I haven't installed yet) are over 2 years old, before this rash of problems.
    The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I agree too, I've seen several fall off at fests and the adhesive just lets go. -RP
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I just replaced the hinge clinch stud that I snapped last weekend. Thanks to the good advice on the forum (Sparky and RRP) I was able to locate a vendor who could order them in for me (Fastenal, just like RRP said) and the job is done.

When my gasket fell off, also last weekend, I was kinda sad. I had followed all the advice, did some low and slows to ease my Egg into a happy state. It was comforting to check the forum on Tuesday morning and see a long thread letting me know I was not alone. Someone had actually done the research to learn that there was some bad adhesive out there and it's fixable. Thanks to the forum, because with your help it's all little stuff.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Same here, my adhesive let go on the 2nd cook, I was told by some nice fellow that i was to dumb to operate the BGE. But anyway i replaced it with a nice new Nomex with Super 77 and all is well now. It was still really sad for it to happen after spending so much. :)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Waiting for my Nomex. I watched a couple of videos, they all skip the part about taking the lid off. After taking the hinge and bands off to replace the clinch stud, I want to minimize the fun of taking it all apart again when my gasket comes.

Did you just loosen the band on the dome, and take it off or what did you do?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    You're welcome - I wondered if I had sent you to Fastenal in a bad part of town or something - so glad it worked for you! I knew they would have it or get it. BTW I was born in IA in the 40's and one song I was taught early on by someone was Sioux City Sue. Anybody still remember that?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    I put the hinge saftey plates back on, like it came out of the box, then remove the bands. removed Dome, replaced gasket, let set then applied gasket, then dome, then bands. Just like first time assy.
    Be careful and good luck :)
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    attention to all new eggers

Yeah I believe your all right. the replacement gaskets adhesive was no good.
    on mine, bought last sept, top gasket fine,
    bottom one I ruined when I dropped hot grid
    on it. had a couple of failures with felt
    on bottom. Now cleaned well, nomex with super
    77 and seems fine, we'll see. The best way to
    learn how to put on new Gasket is watch
    www.fredsmusicandbbq.com He is funny, but he shows you how to put on a new Nomex gasket
    for you newbies, you'll like it.
    good luck BullyC
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    I agree. If you have one of the eggs with bad adhesive, it is going to fail no matter what you do. It is not productive to blame the new egger when this happens. Just help him or her fix it and move on.

On the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a good gasket with good adhesive, it will probably never fail even if you do high temp cooks right off the bat. So again, blaming the new egger is not a productive thing to do. :whistle:
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Hi Bootleg

I'm not being rude, but want to understand
    What the difference would be if the egg was
    seasoned or unseasoned, new, as far as Gasket staying on? Do you think being seasoned keeps less heat from penetrating
    the egg? Whats your thoughts?
    take care BullyC