Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to get a large, what accessories show I buy?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, you guys have talked me into it. I have a Klose mobile, a small mobile, 4 WSM's, a Weber one touch and a gasser in Arizona. I think I will buy myself a fathers day present next week when I head down to the Valley of the Sun for a week. Thinking of a large BGE. Does everything come with this guy or should I buy the place out with accessories?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    duck,[p]I would get at least the following:[p]1) spring-assist hinge
    2) daisy wheel top
    3) platesetter
    4) Polder or Polder-type digital thermometer with probe
    5) small battery-powered fan to accelerate the ignition process
    6) stainless steel (easy to clean) tongs and spatula[p]Other good things to get:[p]7) Thermapen instant-read thermometer
    8) pizza stone
    9) MAPP gas torch for quick starting
    10) a couple of extra grill grates
    11) welding glove or other heavy-duty grill glove[p]I'm sure others will chime in with some additional good ideas.[p]Welcome![p]TRex

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    duck, from the looks of your post you may already have a lot of the items on TREX's list. Also a lot of them can be purchased at many locations.[p]The things that would be kind of unique to the BGE dealer is:
    Spring Assist Hinge
    Daisy wheel top damper
    Ash Tool
    Dome Thermometer(you can find substitutes that are not BGE)
    Plate Setter(not absolutely essential but makes a lot of different set-ups very easy)
    BGE Baking Stone(this is a stone that is thicker than most you find in stores).[p][p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Appreciate the information, will pickup all the goodies next week in Phoenix
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    duck,
    Get yourself a cheap metal bucket (or similar container) for ash removal and a fingernail brush if you don't already have one. Other than a cast iron ash grate the other posts covered everything well.[p]Kelly

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    duck,
    Don't forget a V-Rack. This item is most excellent for cooking boneless turkey breasts and other roasts. Inverted, the V-Rack becomes a rib rack.[p]Mapp Gas is essential for no hassle, quick starts. Also, visit your local bakery and pick up a 5 gallong bucket with a lid to store lump in.[p]If you are picking up an egg, do not settle for anything less than the spring assist band, stainless lower vent, slide top daisy wheel & dome thermometer.[p]With the posts shown here, you should be set for a long learning curve and some excellent meals![p]Enjoy - Banker John