Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

CITYSWINE
CITYSWINE Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After having you guys talk me into it ;), going to be picking up my new egg on Saturday.

wanted to make something easy and quick for my first cook so was thinking spatcock chicken....but won't be buying a raised grill nd don't have fire bricks and all that stuff (yet). I will be getting a plate setter and stone as part of the package.

So my question is does spatcock chicken need to be done on a raised grill and if so can I just do indirect with plate setter and get good results?

anything else you guys would recommend for the initiation?

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Indirect with the plate setter will work fine. Feet up on the plate setter with the grid on top. Use a drip pan under the bird. I use a very old cookie sheet with foil.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    You don't have to have a raised grid. Good luck on the first cook. I wimped out and did burgers the first time. I overcooked them but they were the first burgers we had ever had that were overcooked AND juicy.
  • I cook my spatches direct with no raised grill. Takes 45 mins to an hour. I marinate with soy sauce and garlic powder. Everyone loves it. Good luck!
  • That sound good.

GG
  • Vance,

I have to email you something I received about ammo I received today - sure hope it isn't true. (Later tonight or tomorrow).

Kent
  • Congratulations, looking forward to your results.

Chicken is sure a great and easy cook. spatchcock or whole works great.

To keep my plate setter somewhat clean, I went to Walmart and picked up, I think it was, a 16" deep dish stainless steel pizza pan. I line that with tinfoil, no tears. When I am doing a cook which drips I just toss it away.

You won't be doing just one cook so pick up some brats, dogs, burger and another chicken, the list is endless.

Here is a great dinner, quick and easy. The veggies go on the plate setter under the chicken. Cheese added when pulling the veggie tray.

chickspud1.jpg

chickspud2.jpg

chickspud3.jpg

chickspud4.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

Enjoy, GG
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    What all veggies you got in there? I will definately try that on my next spatched bird.
  • Very simple, this batch I did use both baker and red potatoes, but normally I use one or the other.

Potatoes, a lot of onion, I did put some small bits of italian sausage, about 1/4 lb. Green peppers. Salt & pepper.

Use something to keep the veggie pan (toss away serving foil tray) off of the plate setter. If you cook much over 450° dome watch the veggies as they will get more done. 300° if the veggie try is really full the spuds might still be a little solid.

The taste of the veggies is as good as the chicken.

When you pull the veggie tray put the cheese on. There will be enough residual heat to melt the cheese.

GG
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Hi Cityswine

Won't give advice on chicken but on egg.
    Know your excited, but LEARN about egg
    first. Learn how to make adjustment on bands
    so you have a good seal. try not to spill anything on the Gasket, you don't replace unless you have too. Don't feel bad if mess up a few times, natural. My first cook I cooked celcius insteads of fahrenheit, what a dummy. Neat thing about egg is you can cook so many different ways, Once you learn,
    it is everything they say about it. So be patient and good luck with it.
    take care BullyC
  • Nucman
    Nucman Posts: 59
    I do spatchcock chicken without a raised grid. I do it @ 350* for 1hour. Make sure that your BGE temp is stable. Here are a few pix of how I do the chicken.

DSC_7406.jpg

DSC_7411.jpg

DSC_7418.jpg

DSC_7421.jpg

DSC_7433.jpg

Be careful! It's easy to get hooked. I've had my egg for only about 1 1/2 months and I'm already looking forward to my next egg.
    Enjoy yourself and happy eggin'
  • I cook whole chickens on a vertical roaster with an indirect setup all the time. Usually keep the temp. between 350 to 400, start checking for doneness 1.25 to 1.5 hrs in. The only other thing I usually do with chickens is get some rub under the skin, as well as outside. If you are using chips or chunks for flavor, poultry typically soaks up the smoke a little goes a long way. Good luck.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    That doesn't sound good. We are having trouble even getting ammo for our annual qualifications, not to mention all the practice we like to do.