Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Pre-buyers Remorse'

Options
2»

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    too busy to read all the reponses so please forgive any redundnacy.
    i avoided buying an egg for 20 years [the first one i saw was clay and not ceramic] what a dunce i am. got the $75 dollar gasser and then the $125 used them till they wore out couple of years at best ,, you get the picture,,ended up with a broilking $700 it died about the same time as the warranty. avoided the egg as i did not believe lump would get to temp as fast as the gasser and my kids were young and i was a single father,, blah blah,,, my regret is i was past 50 by the time i got my first egg..given the warranty the egg vs. the gas grill .. the egg wins finacially. no contest when it comes to multi tasking either. boys were afaid of the first chicken i cooked ..it was so moist they thought it was undercooked. as young adults,,and food snobs.. usda choice rib eyes from costco [done right] "this is better than mortons" [$50 a piece just for the meat $428 for three total]
    plus i can drink at home and not worry about driving
    great food , great hobby and if you hang around here you get a wonderful helpfull [somewhat disfuctional] family. my remorse is waiting too long
  • Little Steven
    Options
    bill,

Great response! I got my first egg very shortly after seeing one. I always smile when I think about that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :blush: nearly bought a gasser after using charoal a number of years (pick any number :silly: )---but couldn't be happier with Christmas present we bought ourselves (12/8/08) :woohoo:
    don't be :pinch: get goin, then start sending us Eggheads some NYC veal straight off the trucks :evil:
    :whistle: can I say that on the forum :blush:
  • porkbutt
    Options
    I think you got a great deal. Your weber can't conserve lump like an egg. I haven't done many cooks but I will tell you that over Thksgvng I smoked a 12 lb Turkey with cranberry glaze for 3 hrs and not only was the bird sensational but I had half of my lump left for the next cook. You can shut down a BGE just like a convection oven and you can control it just the same. Also the metal brikett burners will not not give you moist results on a low and slow. I posted earlier today with some basic questions but one thing I will assure you I love my egg and I have had Webers, Jenn Aire gassers and the like---nothing comes close.

Got get it and never look back. Welcome to a great bunch of people that I myself am now just getting to know.
  • Nardi513
    Options
    Hey City, I went through the same issue. Wasn't sure I should spend over $1,000 on a grill with a table etc. But now that I have it, I can't get enough. We cook everything out on the egg now, pizza included. It does sound like a lot but in the end you will not regret it.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    ... And you will never have to buy another grill!! They last forever.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    wish i ahd done as you,,, feel like i ma playing catch up every day
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    those youngan's related to you?

they must have gotten the smiling gene from elsewhere :evil:

Eggtoberfest07008.jpg

:lol: :woohoo: :silly:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Cityswine, welcome to the cult. You just spent the best $855 that you will ever spend. While you think that your Weber made good burgers, steaks and chicken, just wait until you cook them on your egg. I bet your Weber never made pizza, pulled pork, bread, brisket or ribs the way come off the egg. Just try to make ribs, burgers or whatever on a cold, windy, rainy day on your Weber and you will never look back. Just a word of advice as I see you live in Queens (I am in Ronkonkoma L.I.)avoid the lump coal that Western Beef sells. Most of the time their store brand comes from Paraguay or another South American country and it just plain sucks. Wal-Mart will be starting to sell in about another month and then you can pick up Royal Oak lump. There is a guy in Brooklyn and the Bronx called The Woodsman and they carry Wicked Good lump. Their web address is:
    http://www.thewoodman.com/
    In addition to carrying lump they also have wood chunks like apple, cherry, red oak, olive along with the standard hickory and mesquite. I get my lump from Restaurant Depot and they have Royal Oak American most of the time. You must have a commercial account to buy there but since you are not that far if you shoot me a e-mail I will give you my phone number and if you want I can take you in. Good luck with the new egg and now you have to start saving for another one as the eggs do not like to live alone.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Them young'un are two of my grandkids!!
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi porkbutt

Could not agree more with your statement
    to cityswine. I love mine too.
    take care BullyC
  • porkbutt
    Options
    Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

Porkbutt
    Mark
  • BENTE
    Options
    oh ok i got it they are what make you smile!!!

that is great!!!

maybe they can take the pic next time :laugh:

Hope all is well pete ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• CITYSWINE
    Options
    OK,I'm convinced..just emailed dealer to tell him to hold that egg for me till Saturday. There has to be something to this based on the number and enthusasim of the responses.
    Really looking forward to joining this 'cult'.

Retired RailRoader thanks for the local advice and offer to help out. There is a place in astoria Queens called titan foods that always carries royal oak so have a source for lump.

next question is what to cook first. thinking a basic spatcock chicken to get me started.

thanks again all.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I had a w*b*r silver genesis gas grill I bought my Large Egg Sept. 06. Practically gave away the W*B*R, actually showed the guy that bought the Gas Grill My Large egg so I wouldn't have a guilty conscience later on. I bought small Egg in 07' and added a mini in 08... Missed the W*B*R never one day :silly: :silly:
    Buyers remorse was not buying the egg sooner ;)
  • BENTE
    Options
    CITYSWINE:

everyone knows it is not me that needs the advice.. but hopefully someone will chime in and give you what you want.....

my advice is to try whatever it is you do best on your current grill/smoker then see how it stacks up. then go from there.. i also advise you to keep your new egg under 500 degrees for the first 8-10 cooks for gasket protection (you will read more about that the more you hang out here)

i am sorry i did not read all the replies i was just "poking the bear" it is a game i like to play with Celtic Wolf (pronounced "Keltic Wolf" don't make the mistake trust me ;) ). and i wanted to make sure you were aware of it!!!!

welcome to the a new lifestyle. you will walk through the grocery store and think "how in the world can i adapt this thing to the egg".. you will do that with about everything in the grocery store (except ice cream... i have not seen it on an egg yet)

you will love your egg!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    veal, veal, veal
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Actually I was thinking if Zippy survived the deep fried nuts that maybe we could deep fry ice cream..

You learn your lessons well grasshopper...
  • BENTE
    Options
    ok MENSA!!!!

i want to see picks of "YOUR" ice cream ;)

not his but yours :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    The best line I can give is "IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE"
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    It's so worth it. I spent years trying to talk my husband into buying one. He always thought they were too expensive. (not taking into the account we buy a new gasser every 2 years) Finally he wants something pricey, and he buys me an egg. :laugh: He loves it, doesn't even know how to light it. He actually said we'd need a second one if we bought a winter home in Az. No remorse.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I perused the forums for about 2 months after having a fantastic steak dinner at a friends house and bought my first egg in January. It is worth every penny. Spatchcock chicken was my first meal and I have been cooking 3 times a week on it since then and everything has turned out great.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    OK - this thread is old by now and I see you have largely committed anyway, but here goes.
    1. It's a lot of money for .... a grill (how much did you spend on the cooker in your kitchen !) (especially here in the UK). I got a great deal on a Weber gasser shortly before the egg. Even though the gas as much as the cooker it must have been expensive "per cook" - I mostly cooked stuff for the kids on it that my wife didn't want to smell the house out with (lamb - mmmmm).
    The BGE has been cheap on accessories. (a third hand, a therm, a woo ring and a platesetter, oh and some stuff for lighting -)
    2. This is the BGE forum (fan club) - what answer did you expect.
    3. It's fun cooking on the egg - I've made some flops and my wife isn't all that keen, in fact she's pretty exasperated whenever she finds me thinking of how to cook something on the egg. Time was when she did much of the cooking, now her on-line scrabble score must be phenomenal!
    4. It makes cooking more fun even when not on the egg - now if I were doing this on the egg how would I adapt it / I wonder if I could get away with doing this on the egg ...
    Heck sometimes I've even cooked things on the egg without telling her. OK there are the sighs when the grocery order turns up with 20 bags of charcoal (have to buy ahead of winter here) and I'm tempting the delivery chap with smalles from the egg.

I'm afraid it doesn't exactly wear off for those afflicted, in fact I think I'll get a chicken on the way home and spatchcock it tonight.....

I've been on a BGE for a year now, before that on a WSM and a Weber kettle.

Enjoy it and forget the money, think about it again in a few years and if it hasn't worked out ask one of the folks on here round to either re-kindle the experience or take it off your hands for a reasonable price.