Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic cap or top on the egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question.[p]How snug should the top cap be on the egg. I have had the egg since Feb. No problems, but I notices two small bumps on the rim on the inside. So it seems it is not flush.[p]Is that normal? Just want to make sure I have a good seal for the dwell. Does the cap need to be flush, more airtight, or should I just keep cooking away.[p]Thanks

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Eggster,
    The snugger the better for closing down and snuffing the charcoal. Mine all seem to sit pretty flat and don't rock. Does your fire go out pretty quickly after shutting everything up?[p]As far as dwelling your steaks (or whatever), personally I don't like a tight seal for my dwells. Usually I will shut the bottom vent and leave the top off (or put the daisy on with the holes open). That slows the rage of the fire so you can "roast" your meat after the sear, but doesn't block the airflow...which I think causes a slight off-flavor. Just a personal pref I guess![p]ales!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the reply. My cap sems snug not wobbley but there are two small bumps of ceramic on the rim where it sits on the top so it is not a total flush seal. Still get some whisps of smoke under the cap, nothing big.[p]It stops the flare ups but stays pretty warm coming down from 700 after searing but that still seems normal.[p]Thanks again[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    eggster,
    Yeah, it is not a hermetically sealed kinda thang. I'm sure you are fine.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Nature boy,
    suddenly i'm posting to all the threads this morning. must be amped on coffee.[p]My ceramic top happens to snuff quite well, so much so that I don't use it for the dwell either, since i also get a bit of off flavor from the fat smoke (rib eyes).[p]I DO use it to snuff the egg quite quickly. But i always wondered about the seal, how airtight it was. Why not put a bit of gasket mounted to the inside of the cap? Some gasket felt or Rutland gasket? That'd snuff it pretty well I'd imagine.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante