Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wadya think??

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need an outdoor light for my BGE cooking area. I have used the small LED stand lights and those are ok but I need more light.

I found this online:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/75497.asp?promo=outdoorliving

Has anybody used one of these? It looks like a real possibility. Let me know waddya think....

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Be careful with solar led lights like that. Usually they are not very bright.

There are some neat solutions, Do you have overhead coverage? Like a roof or something. You can go track lighting, that would give you the brightness and spot control that you would like.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Before I order it I am going to look at track lighting. There is not a lot of room to put a light so I am looking for options.

When I saw the LED it just seemed like it might be a good fit....
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I think someone on here remarked that LED lights often change the color of the meat, at least the color we see. Couldn't that possibly screw up a cook? Anyone have experience with LEDs and meat (perceived) discoloration?
    tim
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    The latest LED lights intended for under cabinet countertop lighting are "color corrected" so the light produced isn't "blue" or "off". They throw off a lot of light and some even have three different intensity options. Good lighting stores carry these but they are wired. They don't run off a self contained small solar collector. Thjey might be a good option and they usually have a display so you can see the unit in operation. (bring some hamburger along and see how it looks under the light)
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I've used solar lights and I've used LED lights but never the combination. I don't know your location but solar lights must have good direct sunlight to recharge - if they are shaded too much they simply won't provide much light for very long. LED lights are often bluish and may not provide enough light to work under unless there are a lot of them (or they are on line power.) They are OK for walkways and similar used though.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have found the BBQ Grill LED's are OK but not really enough light and the color is off.

I like the idea of the light you linked to but I wonder if there will be enough light.

I ended up putting up a yard light, something like what was shown but two smaller flood lamps. Works great.

I do like what you have shown and wouldn't mind having one myself.

GG
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Before I order it I am going to look at track lighting. There is not a lot of room to put a light so I am looking for options.

When I saw the LED it just seemed like it might be a good fit....

It can be a great idea..you just have to be careful. I would not buy before seeing personally.

LED is the best way to go. They are way more energy efficient than compact florescence bulbs. A 3watt LED can = 40watt regular bulb. They come in an assortment of color temps as well so you should be able to find warm, soft or daylight temps.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I REALLY like the idea, but I'm in the camp of "gotta' see it" hands /eyes on to determine the temp. color and brightness.
    BTW, I’ve seen some really bright LED lighting…Sooo…Check it out.