Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of buying BGE...

Options
Ed
Ed Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Damaged message -- original body lost.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Ed,[p]I was right there where ya'll are a few years ago. I was a gas griller and didn't want to ever mess with lighting coals...just go for it. You'll finally get to eat some real food.[p]Kurt
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Ed,
    Start-up time: with a MAPP torch I can be at 600°, where I do most of my grilling, in 20 minutes. (Took 10 to 15 minutes to get my gasser to 400.)
    Somebody in a post down the page mentioned "grilling used to be a 'special occasion' thing" but since the Egg it's more an anyday occurence. I think you'll find the same thing: if you grill burgers "once a week in Summer" with your gasser, you'll find yourself doing burgers, roasts, steaks, vegetables, ... year-round with an Egg.
    My gasser had a narrow temperature range: 300 to 400°. Which meant I couldn't do low and slow barbecue, and I couldn't get high enough temps for searing steaks. With either the large or small Egg, I can go as low as 200°, and as high as 700+°.
    Finally, for smoke I had to use a "smoke box", a metal contraption filled with wood chips. With the Egg, depending on the charcoal and which wood I might add, I can get as much or as little smoke as I want, for as long as I want.[p]
    Ken

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Ed,
    like bluesmoke said. . .i can be at 700+ using the mapp torch in a matter of 15 minutes. .. .[p]i've said this before on the forum:[p]burgers were good on gas, great on the weber, but nothing like what they taste like when "egged". . .i threw away the gas grill, and i use the weber to store lump for the egg.. .[p]my feeling now is, if i cooked it in the oven, or if i cooked it in a pot, i now cook it in the egg. . ..chili, baked beans, casseroles, steaks, roasts, chickens, fish. . .doesn't matter, it is all better on the egg. . .best investment in cooking i've ever made . . .[p]go get it now. . .[p]good luck[p]max

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Ed,
    Do yourself a big favor....get the EGG![p]LR

• Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    Ed,
    I was in your spot last December. My Weber gasser died and I needed a replacement. I had been reading the forum here and liked what I saw. In fact a friend had recommended the BGE but I wasn't sure. So I bought a large BGE and a new Weber Genesis. Well, to make a long story short, I use the Weber to cook hot dogs or to warm up some ABTs but not for any real cooking. I find I use the BGE three or four times a week. I expect that number to increase now that spring has sprung. The gassers are nice but the EGG is far superior when it comes to producing food that you and your friends will remember.
    GET THE EGG--and if you can spring it go for the large.

• Ksdaddio
    Ksdaddio Posts: 32
    Options
    Ed,
    Life is too short. Don't think about it anymore, just do it. You will wonder how your ever did with out it. I just rolled my last gas grill off of my pickup at the local scrap metal dealer. I had even beg him to take it! You just need to plan your meal prep time by starting a little earlier. Even if you think you are in a hurry, it is worth the wait.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Ed,
    Takes me about enough time to drink a beer and the coals are ready. Is that the kind of time frame you're looking for?