Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spices

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I need to head out and get the biggest bottle of EVOO i can find. I was wondering what other spices/rubs/must have ingrediants I need to get me going.

I am new at this and want to be prepared for at least the simple dishes! I obviously have the basics like S&P, Ribrub, and now EVOO. Any other must haves to get me started!

Seems like you need to spend a small fortune in this stuff to be like the pros on this site! so, I plan to build my supply up slow!
Thks

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    If you go to the Dizzypig site you can order all the rubs & spices you will ever need. DP rubs are great and he provides great service. I like all his rubs. good luck to all. Tom
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Altho there are lots of very good rub mixes, such as DP makes, its nice to have the basics fro BBQ rub on hand. Kosher salt, raw sugar, granulated onion and garlic, cayenne, black pepper, dry mustard, hot and sweet paprika, some ground cumin will be a good start.

Start a small kitchen herb garden, or even a window box, or planter w. gro-lite. Fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, chive, marjoram, etc. etc. make so many dishes better. All sorts of capsicums grow pretty easily in most parts of the country.

If you have and Asian market in your area, you are likely to find lots of good spices at very good prices. Locally, I find everything from bulk peppercorns, or coriander, to tandoori and jerk mixes.
  • Coacher
    Options
    Ribhead,
    I'm new to the Egg as well (bought a lg in January) and I have found the Dizzy rubs to be fantastic. I'm sure there are other great rubs and spices, but Dizzy's stuff seems to be head and shoulders better than grocery store rubs. On the other hand, experimenting is also half the fun. Just my opinion.

Bobby
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Be sure to try John Henry's spices too. His Pecan Rub is great and the original barbeque sauce with honey.
    We can't cook without the Dizzy Pig Raisin the Steaks or Shakin the Tree....lots to practice with to see what you really like.

http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/
    Judy
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA