Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tenderloin tacos

Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to make some tenderloin tacos tonight. I picked up 25# of beef tenderloin last week for $2.99/#. This is my first cook with the new steak. I have to say that after I posted the special 2.99 price for tenderloin on this forum a lot of you guys were very hesitant. This in turn made me a little hesitant, but for 2.99 I was willing to try. The verdict is the steak is awesome! I would not turn my nose up at this tenderloin no matter what price the butcher was charging. It was very tender and juicy, with excellent flavor. Here are a couple pictures from tonight's cook. Sorry about the picture quality. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Maybe it is time for a new camera.

DSCF0986.jpg
DSCF0988.jpg

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Oh yum! Tenderloin tacos, the price is right too.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    You don't see that at Taco Bell! If I run across a deal like that, my freezer will be full. I live in Maine and I'm still kicking myself for not stocking up on lobsters a couple of months ago when they were $3.50 a pound.

Slick
  • Harleydog77,

Looks good. I hope you're not counting me in as one of those that were hesitant. Even if it was select it would have been a great deal. I did a Wellington on the weekend, 5 lbs for $76 bucks

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You go get some dry ice, I'll go get some dry ice. Then we can trade pound for pound lobster for tenderloin. Surf and turf!!! My freezer is pretty full.
  • No, if I remember correctly you were one of the only believers from that thread. I am not too sure on the grading of beef. These tenderloins were choice. Is that better or worse than select. No matter what the grade was the steak tasted awesome, and it was very tender. I guess that is all that really matters.

-Yates
  • I paid $6.49 a lb. last week (trimmed),the least I have seen it for anywhere near me, I'd say you got a real deal there.

Probably nothing wrong with your camera, just look to see if there is a "macro" focus. That's one way to take close-up pictures.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Thanks for that pointer on the camera. I will check it out. I do have to say that I am getting the itch to get a new digital slr
  • Good looking taco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Unfortunately, the price is back up to $6-8 per pound. When you factor in the price of shipping, it's really cost prohibitive, with the shipping usually costing much more than the lobster. I shipped two pounds of lobster meat and two pounds of scallops to my sister in Illinois for Christmas and the post office charge was around $50. The only way I've found to do it is to pack them in a cooler and check them as baggage when I fly. I took 35 lbs., and some fresh scallops back to Ohio a couple of years ago and we had one heck of a party!

Slick
  • Harleydog77,

I said in that thread that the grading only applies to the ribeye and some other fat measurements. What I meant was that a Select? tenderloin may have no difference from a prime tenderloin. Good buy, wish I could have gotten in on it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That sounds like a party I would like an invitation to!!!
  • Those are the kind of deals that when you see them you might as well buy as much as you think that you can use in the time period that they will stay good in your freezer for. When they grade the beef do they just look at the individual steaks and grade them that way?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    There's something that would cost ya at good Mexican resturant! Great job and looks good.
  • It turned out great. I would do it again for sure. Very simple tasty and actually a pretty healthy cook.
  • Harleydog77,

I don't remember exactly but all of the grading, both Canadian and US, is based on fat colour, and marbling. The acid test is the rib eye. There are specific measurements that are taken. I don't have the information here but I have it saved at work and I can send it to you tomorrow. Bottom line is that there is no fat, or very little in tenderloin, most is silverskin and what fat there is is not part of the grading process.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That would be kind of interesting to have. I would appreciate it if you would send it to me.

Thanks,
    Yates
  • You will have it tomorrow.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON