Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ugly Steak/ Flap meat help

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i bought some of this stuff on saturday and tonight i am planning on making steak tacos with it it has been marinating all day.. i have been told you are supposed to cook these to be more on the done side rather than like a hanger, tri tip, or flat iron. you know how men like rarer red meat.. my question is what temp should i pull it at?

i am planning direct about 400 or so until i hit the right temp...

so anyone familiar with this one let me know (desert filly) :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    When you are cooking it, think rib meat, because that's what it is. That is why you want to pull it at a higher temp. I don't recall what temp I pulled it at, just that the sampling was really good when I did. :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I made a couple steaks last week. Didn't take the temp but I cooked them until they didn't give when you press your finger on them. Well done is much better on these than med rare. -RP
  • BENTE
    Options
    i appreciate it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I cooked some this last Saturday. I cooked it at 650-700 deg for 2.5 min on side 1 and 2 min on side 2. It was still red on the thickest part but not overly. Had I gone to 2.5 min on side 2 I think that would have been too much.

BTW, I used Cowboy lump filled to the top of the fire ring on a large BGE (so the grill would be close to the burning lump).
  • BENTE
    Options
    i am using the small.. i will bump the temp up some thamkls rich B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• smokinsop
    Options
    What the heck is flap meat??
  • Desert Filly
    Options
    Terry...I tell you...a man after my own heart. From the mouth of the "throwdown" winner....
    I hot tubbed them...then about 2 mins per side. They were well done, and sliced across the grain. I didn't marinate them either...just salt and pepper.

Where did you buy them at there? I'll have to tell my folks.

Kim
  • BENTE
    Options
    i bought them at resturant depot in atlanta.. only came in 60# increments.. so i have alot on hand.. your folks are in nc right rd is opening a store in charlotte sometime this decade. it will be less than two miles from my thursday route so if they need to go let me know

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Sam's Club usually carries it. Usually around $3.50 a pound. Great stuff. Usually so tender you can cut it with a fork.

Slick