Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overshooting temp with Guru

Options
Vincent Chase
Vincent Chase Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't own a Guru but am thinking about getting one. Was just curious, if the temp. overshot what you had programmed (in the event of a leaky gasket), how does the Guru bring down the temp? Does the fan 'reverse' the blades direction to choke the air intake going into Egg?

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Options
    greetings,
    that is kind of an oxymoron because in 4 years i have never "overshot" the temp. and if you think about it if the fan ran in reverse wouldn't it just bring in air from the top? so no...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    No reversing allowed.

My DigiQII overshot pretty consistently. I got to thinking about things and after I began closing the fan slider down that resolved the problem. Hasn't happened since.

Without a guru I normally open the bottom vent 1/16 to 1/4 inch wide depending on the cook (lower temperature cooks).

The free air flow is a lot more than the above opening. Simply closing the damper down to 1/3 and on my large with a Pit Viper (10 cfm) resolved the problem.

Leaks in the gasket area didn't seem to make much difference one way or the other until the pan was on. I get some smoke going out the gasket area as well as out the top vent.

GG
  • YankeeRob
    Options
    The fan does not reverse. The best thing you can do to bring down the temp is to close the damper on the fan a choke the fire out.

If you are considering a Guru you might as well consider a Stoker for the same cost:

http://rocksbarbque.com/

It does everything a Guru does as well as:
    - can control more than 2 pits at once
    - you can have as many meat probes as you like
    -let's you control your smoke from a web browser
    - and with FREE software:
    -send you an email of your smoke chart in progress
    -does ramp up/down open lid detection

If you are on a budget try my DIY Guru device:
    http://home.comcast.net/~gailymvt/scats.htm

-rob
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Once the fire is going strong it is easy to overshoot. Think about how big the tube is for the Guru. Once the desired temp is achieved, you need to adjust the fan damper.

For low and slow I close the damper completely on the top and then open it up VERY slightly. This way its more difficult for a natural draft to stoke the fire.
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    Vincent, any of our controls will stop running the fan if your cooker goes over temperature due to a leaky gasket. The ultimate answer is to try and replace the gasket but if you know there is a small air leak, you can set the control to a lower temperature to account for that until you get the problem fixed. Please call me aif you have any other questions, I will be happy to help.

Bob Trudnak
    The BBQ Guru
    1 800 288 4878