Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Substitute for Green Heat

Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK 1st of all it has been a crazy couple of years and been about as long since I have posted. Anyway - This is for some of you oldtimers !! About 5 years ago wally world sold an eco friendly fire starter called "GreenHeat". A COUPLE OF DABS WILL DO YA !!!! At the end of the summer they had it on close out for $.50 per bottle. I bought all they had. I am now on my last bottle and it's last drop. I have used this for so long to start my egg - I have no idea what to do. Do any of you have any suggestions that are as easy as Green Heat ????

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Faor a few $$$ more, I went thru the same cycle and still have some left. Bottles and packets. Did not like it because of the high heat no see, burn hand cycle. Bought a MAPP system and have never looked back.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    I was right there with ya. I bought every bottle in every walmart around. Had around 50 plus bottles, and have now run out. I got a mapp torch and do say it's much better than the green heat.
    010509002.jpg
  • How long does it take your to get the lump going with the MAPP? I have to say these things scare the hell out of me. One guy just posted about how he had a mishap and literally had to throw it across the yard while it burned out of control.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    It's very quick. I light three spots, I just hold it in each spot till it's glowing orange. I guess maybe 15 to 20 seconds. It does make the lump pop a bit so one should have glasses on for safety. It really seems to get the lump going much quicker than the starters I have usued in the past. They do make a hose deal for them too, that way the bottle is never close to the egg.
  • I'm a fan of the Stike method (we miss you, a paper towel drizzled with oil. It takes two to get my XL fired up for hot cooks but can't beat the convenience.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I bought two bottles from Walmart for $1/bottle. Really liked it but cannot find it. Then on EBay I saw a guys selling it for $1/bottle. I contacted him and asked him how much for shipping. He said $9.00. I asked, "How much for shipping 30 bottles?" He replied "$270.00". I'm still looking. I didn't like it THAT much. I have a Mapp torch with the hose. The nice thing is that it still works as the gas gets low.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I just saw it at Meijers. Different name but same type of product. Spring is coming and the grill sections are filling. Look around.
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    90% Isopropyl Alcohol.