Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teriyaki Beef Jerky

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got both Eggs going with some Teriyaki Beef Jerky. Should be ready in a few hours.

36 hours in marinade:
IMG_0207.jpg

Racked and stacked:
IMG_0210.jpg

Ready to smoke:
IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Both Eggs, after about 90 minutes at 165*
IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

More later when it's finished.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    man that looks good!!

don't forget to post the finished ones :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Looks awesome! Have any great recipe to post for how to make that Teriyaki Beef Jerky? I've never made jerky but this looks like how I"d like to start!
    B)
  • All finished. Actual yield was somewhat more than shown - lots of nibblin' shrinkage!

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

PorkyDork's, my "recipe" is pretty simple. I cut flank steak into 1/4" or less wide strips, some with the grain, some against. I marinade in Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce for at least 24 hours. I use the triple decker grate and arrange the strips so there's room for air to move around, then I smoke them at 160-180 degrees with some hickory chips thrown in, watching carefully for meat that might be starting to sizzle or "roast". We don't want that. We want to dry the meat out. It takes about 4 or 5 hours before the thinner strips are ready to pull. Some of the strips take about six hours to finish. I can tell it's ready when I can hold it up to a light and see the light coming through, like the picture above.

Enjoy,
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    looks great i want to take that step but have yet to find the time :whistle: :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Thanks Jack! The finished product looks amazing!
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Looks awesome. I have been wanting to do some jerky for some time now. So how does one get the egg to a 160-180 temp? That mostly means the "fire is out" for me. Any suggestions?
  • BeerBQ wrote:
    Looks awesome. I have been wanting to do some jerky for some time now. So how does one get the egg to a 160-180 temp? That mostly means the "fire is out" for me. Any suggestions?

Some folks like to fill a coffee can with charcoal and light it for low temps. I've been filling the firebox with charcoal just above the side air holes, then I use a MAPP torch to light a hot little blazing fire right in the middle. I set the vents for a slow creep up to temperature - the bottom open about 1.5" and the top with the hinge swiveled closed but the daisy petals wide open. After about 30-40 minutes or so I'm at 160-170 and climbing slowly. I then shut the bottom down to 1/4" - 1/2" and close the petals halfway, then keep an eye on things, making little tweaks until the temp stabilizes.

Jack