Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg or Mini Egg for car camping?

Options
kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband and I have a large green egg and love it. We are trying to decide whether to buy a small green egg or a mini green egg for car camping? Any opinions out there as to which is better?

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Kim,
    How many people and what will you be cooking?
    Chuck

• kim
    kim Posts: 63
    Options
    GaDawg,[p]For the majority of this vacation while we're camping, we'll be cooking for two (me & the Mr). Probably cooking steaks, chops, and chicken pieces. At the most maybe even a whole chicken or a small roast. We intend to see other family members during a small part of our vacation and although it'd be great to show off the BGE and turn our family members into converts, we'd need to haul our large BGE and we don't plan on doing that.
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Kim,
    I have a large, a small and a mini. Although we're
    not campers, I think a small is the way for you to
    go. I use my mini for burgers, dogs, sausage and for
    one or two small steaks (like NY strips). If you want
    to do chickens and roasts, you'll need the small as opposed
    to the mini. The small is heavier than the mini, but it's
    still portable.
    Chuck

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Kim,[p]We bought our small just for that...and it works wonderfully! I think the mini has it's place, but the small will be more flexible and handle anything you'd want to do, including pork butt for pulled pork, chicken, roasts, steaks, fish, veggies, side dishes....we've done them all and haven't been disappointed yet![p]Plus, with a small and a large, the possibilities at home are endless. While we had a longer cook going on yesterday, I threw some scallops wrapped in bacon on the small as an appetizer while we were waiting on dinner. We often do beans, hot potatoe salad and augratin potatoes on it for sides...[p]Get the small, you won't regret it...and there's nothing like getting up and putting a pork butt on and watching the sunrise out in the woods or by the lake or in whatever beautifil place you are camping in...[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Kim,[p]I think the small would be the most versatile or the egg line that is portable. I have both the small and the mini, but the mini is just too small in my opinion. If you decide on a small, I would suggest having a carrying device of some kind made. It can be very hard to pick up and carry without one. Have a ring made to go around and under the egg with a handle made of some heavy duty strapping. I think I used two inch nylon and had a saddle shop do the stitching for me. A $20.00 investment can make carrying the little guy around a whole lot easier. I'll try to get some pictures of it when I can. [p]Ashley
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Kim,
    I agree with the others - a small is the way to go. I have a large, small and mini. I bought the mini not long after the large with the idea of taking it camping. But after having gotten the small, I realized that it would be much more useful for camping. I still like mini, but the small is the one we'll be taking next month for our camping trip.

• Unknown
    Options
    Kim, We have a pop-up with storage in the front end of the camper. I got the mini because it fits there very nicely. I did not have room for the small. Everything that has been said about the small being more versatile is true, but I have used the mini for a year and have 3 sons and the mini has never let us down, burgers, dogs, chicken, taters, veggies, pork loin have all been done with excellent results. If you have the room and the muscles, go with the small, but if you are like me with limited space, the mini will work just fine. It makes the best filet mignons you will put in your mouth. my .02 worth.

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    Kim,
    OK so where can I find a small. Dealers no longer carry it tin the DFW area.