Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

exact measurement of a medium grill

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm working on a custom raised grill for my Large, but plan to use a medium grill for the raised part. I was wondering if someone might have or could measure their medium grill for me? I need to know the diameter inside the outer ring so I can make a round piece fit inside that and support the rack by the cross bars.

thx

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    that doesn't make sense...you said "to know the diameter inside the outer ring so I can make a round piece fit inside that and support the rack by the cross bars"

Do you want the diameter of the inside of a fire ring that fits in a medium? If so the grate you cut won't sit on anything, but fall through. I'll be glad to measure, but not sure what you want.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    The stardard grill diameter is 15" as listed on the BGE site.
  • glousteau
    Options
    have a plate setter? legs up, when yo u set your rack on it, the outer most ring is not supporting the rack, the rack is setting on the legs on the crossbars, right? I'm looking to make a ring that is slightly smaller than the outer ring inside diameter. On my large the measurement is 17-3/4 (inside to inside), outside to outside is 18-1/4, the ring itself is 1/4" round stock. I guess I could assume that the medium is also 1/2" smaller inside to inside, but I'd like to confirm.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the medium grid is 15 inches OD. the ring is approx. 1/4 inch but typically not true round. Depending on what you are using for the rolled, ring, might make the OD 14.25 inches max.

You need to be careful on how you place the vertical crossbars so they don't create dead space on the lower grid, can happen with butts and other large cuts. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    He's after the inside diamer of the band that is the base of the cooking grill (grate)...the ring that is on the bottom of it. I can get the measurement at lunch if nobody posts it before then.
  • glousteau
    Options
    I actually plan to make 2 of these, one almost identical to this one to just raise my large grill to gasket height.

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=592854&catid=1

then one for the medium grill, with some horizontal pieces at the top then a smaller ring to support the medium grill
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    let me know how it works out, I may want to try it.......LOL. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.