Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or Medium Egg ? PIC

Bama Egger
Bama Egger Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
UP503570.jpg
<p />Ok, I am pretty much decided on getting a Big Green Egg this summer. Medium looks big enough for me, or should I just go for the large? There's just myself and my wife, no big family. I have made good ribs on my Weber, but it's time for a new toy!

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    4508644.DFWBGEUG.jpg
    <p />Paul,
    i have a medium with stainless steel eggmates/nest[p]4508644.DFWBGEUG.jpg

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Paul,
    We just bought the large. Glad we spent the extra money. Make bigger pizzas etc. If you are handy at all make a cart. I did and am very happy with it. It's nice to have
    a little counter space.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Paul,[p]You will never regret getting a large. Most folks that post here, not all, but most who have bought mediums have said if they had it to do over again they would buy a large. If money is not an issue, then go for the large. If it is, then the medium would work for you, too. One thing is for sure, once you get one, you will want another one anyway! LOL![p]Jim
  • Paul,
    My local dealer only stocks the large, but will special order any size someone wants. He is firmly convinced that the large is the way to go because of the extra cooking surface. The kid is gone, so it's just me and Mrs. BBQBluesStringer, and we're perfectly happy with a large.[p]Remember, when friends and aquaintences get a taste of your cooking, you will be having lots of dinner guests. The extra capacity of the large will come in very handy. I'll probably buy another large before my annual late summer barbecue blast.[p]BBS-

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Paul,
    Let me add another vote for a large. Some things like spatchcock chicken, wings, burgers, etc. require real estate on the grid. Pizza, too. When you want to cook those goodies, you'll be glad you had the large. [p]If you can afford the large, get it. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Paul,
    Welcome! Either way, you won't regret your choice. My vote, like the others, is go for the large. In most cases, it's only a couple hundred more than the medium. And once you get ok with the cost of the medium, you'll think...what the hell...
    I bought a large 2 years ago. Thought I'd never buy another grill. Well, I did. Bought a small egg for when it's small food like 1-2 steaks; couple burgers, etc. When it's pizza time, whole chickens, butts, briskets, etc it's the large.
    Enjoy!

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Paul,
    Here's another vote for a large. You'll appreciate
    the extra space and fuel capacity for overnighters and
    long cooks such as ribs. Later on, when you see a good
    deal, add a small for the times that you're only cooking
    a couple of steaks or burgers.
    Chuck

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Paul, it's like an echo in here, but the advice has been perfect. Start with a large. BTW it's just the two of us as well, but I got hooked and now own a small, a medium and a large. Acquisition order (as suggested before) was large, small, and then medium.
    Whichever you end up with you'll love it and wonder why you waited so long to join the BGE cult!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Paul,
    The medium will work perfect for two. There isn't anything you can't do on a medium and your fuel consumption will be less than with a large.
    I love mine!
    Check out the food photo section on my site for some medium cooking examples.

[ul][li]Cooking on the medium[/ul]
  • ravnhaus,
    isn't anything? Got a BGE shoehorn to slip a 25# gobbler into a medium, do you? LOL

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Paul,
    If you have the money, go GRANDE! You won't ever regret it. Since the food is always better than in restaurants and whatever you cook in the kitchen, the savings in restaurant bills and electricity will cover your costs in just a few short months.[p]Kip

• Paul,
    another vote for the large! I went through the same decision making process last year and decided to buy the large. It is, by far, the best investment I've made :-) While i usually only cook for 2, it's not too big and I could easily see that a medium might have left me wanting to "upgrade" quickly. My next purchase will likely be a small![p]Good luck - you'll love the egg!

• Bama Egger
    ravnhaus, I am glad to see at least one dissenting opinion. By the way, nice website, great photos. Thanks.

• Bama Egger
    RRP, Since the Big Green Egg is not cheap, it's a little disturbing to see that once you get one everyone seems to buy all three!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Paul,
    LOL, but since I haven't learned the secret to taking my money with me when you die I'm going to spend it how and while I can enjoy it. Afterall, life isn't a dress rehearsal!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />Paul,[p]The last time my wife made dinner....hmmm i think that was right before I got my 1st BGE.... she used the stove (multiple burners) oven and microwave to serve a so so dinner (sorry dear). Well tomorrow for mothers day I will be making Atomic Buffalo Turds and smoked trout for appetizers, some baked potatos, grilled asparagus and Mad Max Beyond Eggdome's flank steak for dinner and bananas balinese for desert. Everything will be cooked on my two large BGE's and something will probably hit the mini before the day is done. Look at all the electricity I am saving by having more than one, LOL. Seriously though, my vote is for the large, you will be very happy with it.[p]Chuck
  • ravnhaus
    kat,
    True, a 25# turkey might be too big, but we are talking about cooking for 2 people.
    I would use a smaller turkey myself if I was going to cook a turkey (don't care much for them myself, I'd rather do a prime rib or something a little more exciting for special occasions).
    I guess a whole hog might be out of the question also :-)

• ravnhaus
    Paul,
    GFW is another egger with a medium.
    Check his site out for more examples and testimony.

[ul][li]GFW's Medium[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Paul,
    I have read the post below, I am a very small single male and was torn with the same decision. At the time, the difference between the med. and the large was about $75 to a $100. I bought the large because the difference was not that great.[p]There was a big jump at the time between the small and the med. Well, I now have a large egg,med. egg and a mini egg plus another brand that was a gift to me that fill the place of the small.[p]I'm not a very good cook but with the help of the forum I have neighbors asking me for certain things and of course they are perfectly willing to pay for the meat and lump and a little left over the skinny Q'er..[p]If you can start with the large, please do so. Any size is better then none.[p]Welcome and stick around, this is a great forum.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob