Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first Turkey on BGE

Ga egger
Ga egger Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first Turkey today on my new Large BGE. Should I use the vertical roaster or roast in a pan?? Low and slow at 325?? Pecan chips?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    I cooked them on indirect with with a pan underneat with apple juice. Also, I put it straight on the grid with no roaster. It turned out great, but i did inject it with apple juice, cavenders,butter, and small amount of bbg rub. I put apples and onions in the cavity. hope this helps. Obviously, apple smoking chips on the lump.DSC01310.jpg
  • I dont have an injector. Was the turkey moist cooking directly on the grate? The picture looks great. What temp did you use?? 15 min a pound? Thanks.
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Injectors are cheap and will be used again and again.You can buy at any grocery store. If I recall I cooked it at 300 dome temp but, the turkey was very moist due to the injection and apple juice under it. By the way, i never really pay attention to the time, just the internal temp. Before cooking turkey this way, i always thought turkey was too dry for my liking, but this way changed my thoughts. Inject that bird, trust me!!
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I've done them both vertical and simply raised up out of the drip pan. (You will have a hard time doing a vertical turkey that is bigger than about 15lbs.) Been great either way.

I definitely prefer pecan for poultry. My Christmas turkey I cooked at 250 and it was excellent! Other than the temp, I followed the recipe in the BGE manual. I can't remember how long it took but I think it was only about 6 hours for an 18 lb'er. Definitely use a remote probe if you have one.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • here is everything you need to know about roasting a turkey on your egg. ...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm