Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what other accesories will I need with my first egg?

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so aside from what comes packaged with the egg what else will I need.[p]I know I'll need some kind of nest. I'll probably build one. And I will propbably get the daisy wheel.[p]I have a probe therm already.[p]Other than that what will I need or come in very handy? [p]Thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Brian,
    I think it should COME with the daisy wheel, and the dome thermometer... also, the ceramic top (which I use to snuff the fire and when not cooking to protect from rain) should be included.[p]The only accessory you'll need (or want) pretty quickly is an ash scoop, to cleanout with. I actually cheaped-out and made one from a cheapo spatula, folded90 degrees down into a U-shaped scoop. [p]You'll decide what your fire-starting method will be after trying a couple. I used simple crumpled newspaper the first few times which was fast and easy, but floating bits of ash drove me nuts. Now i use matchstick firestarter sticks. Most guys i think use some variant on this, which is any sawdusty-kinda product impregnated with pariffin. It's somewhat cheap, and easy.[p]Some use a MAAP torch (even propane), and some others buy a 5$ 'starter' fireplace log (again, sawdust and flammable binder) that they hack chunks from. [p]After a few trial runs, you're probably going to want to do a lo and slo cook. I made an extended (higher) grill which was basically an 18" grill from Home depot raised on lag-bolt-and-washer legs. That with a cheap rib rack and a couple fire-bricks (I'm so cheap, i used a busted concrete patio block) for some indirect mass, and you're ready to go.[p]good luck, welcome to the cult... [p]you will go from sceptic to prosyletizer in a few short days.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Brian,
    If you like pizza, you will want to get a plate setter and a pizza stone. I agree with Stike - you should have gotten the daisy wheel and dome thermo with your egg - unless you got a heck of a price on just the egg alone. Some different flavors of smoking wood will also add a lot to your cooks. Welcome to the "club". This is a great place to prowl around - so much to learn and so many great people here who are willing to help out.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Brian,
    Get a bigger freezer to take advantage of meat specials...never can tell when you'll feel the need to smoke a brisket all night and they might not be on sale.[p]Steve is right though, I'd suggest a plate setter first and then a pizza stone.

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Brian,
    Get a good pair of "fireplace" or "welders" gloves. You will need these. Even at 250 degrees things are hot!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Fireball,
    oh and HEY![p]shampoo. cheap shampoo.
    yer gonna be using the thing so often, and smoking any piece of meat you can, that your significant other will probably request you shower before bed every night![p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Brian,[p]Yes, build a table (do a search for table plans and you'll find plenty of previous posts on here with links). [p]Get some long tongs.[p]A platesetter and stone. You may already have a pizza stone but its likely too thin for the temps the egg will reach. Platesetter is a must even if you don't want to do pizza yet, use for indirect cooks.[p]