Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for buckboard bacon experts

Options
ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dumb questions, but I would like to send some to my son on the other side of the continent when it's ready.

Does the Hi Mountain method of curing/smoking really preserve the meat, or is refrigeration still required after it is cured and smoked?

In other words, after curing and smoking, could some amount be sealed up in a Foodsaver bag and shipped without refrigeration?

Curious,

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Good question. Depending on how far and what time of year, I would freeze the foodsaver and ship no more tha 2 days away. I have used dry ice for a 2 day shipment of BBQ food. Never would try it in the summer.

Stike, you still up?

Where is the food patrol when needed?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sorry, buckboarding is for the most part a flavor cure, and the end product requires refrigeration.

Although not as perishable as something like seafood, I would think packaging like Richard mentioned would work, but I would change the shipping to FedEx overnight.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    Thanks guys - I had a feeling this was the case.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Like the guys say, not a safe thing to do on reg. shipping method. Also you have to consider when shipping all items go in the belly of the plain and the heat really builds up down there. Dry ice 2 day shipping the most.