Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

13# of belly

KokemanKokeman Posts: 816
edited 8:02PM in EggHead Forum
I cut the slab into 6 pieces and cured. I cured 5# with maple syrup and brown sugar, 4# with just salt, 2# peppered and 2# with hi mountain buckboard cure. I smoked @ 200 with hickory.
Pulled @140
Cooled overnight and sliced
Fried up some maple for BLTs

It is very good, But next time I won't use hickory on the maple bacon. It overwhelms the maple favor. I think I will try maple or cherry wood.

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,961
    Damn, that looks good! Do you refrigerate or freeze?
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 816
    I put them in food savers, half pound in each and froze.
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,678
    Goodlookin bacon, is the skin on or off?
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Thats looks amazing. I love some bacon. I think you just gave me my next cook. Whats a good price to buy the meat? I've never done this so If you would tell me what to buy and whats too high. Thanks
    I cured and smoked with the skin on and removed before slicing.
    I have bought some for about 2.50 or so a pound. As for this batch I won a half of hog in a raffle, So 80# of pork for 5 bucks.
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,678
    check, thanks, I'm gonna call the butcher today.
  • Amazing. It looks so good...especially considering the original pic.