Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

which size - help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am sure this has been discussed several times! But!

I am in the process of purchasing an egg! And need to know what size you would recommend! I know most people end up with the large, but I thinking about just buying a medium.

I dont want to regret it later and/or upgrade to a large!

I will mostly just cook for a family of 5! with some weekend cookouts for a few friends. My main concern is ribs as this will probably be my signature egg dish!

I wouldnt think I would ever need to cook more than 4-5 full racks!

your suggestions are appreciated! and btw, I can get a new medium for around $450! the price is right!

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    If I had it to do over again I would still buy a large. I think you're gonna wish you had a large if you like cooking for friends and like to cook ribs. I like that price though. Hard to turn down.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Last night I grilled 3ea steaks. Our large BGE has a spider that lowers the grid height to just above the burning lump, so as to get a good sear without having to get the egg so hot. A size Medium BGE cast iron grid fits down into the spider. After the sear the steaks are removed and placed on the normal size Large BGE grid that is atop a wooII ring to get a little elevation. What struck me was that the steaks were quite closely packed together on the med grid, but there was room on the large grid fro at least 2ea more steaks. A three inch diameter difference might not sound like a lot, but it surprised me.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    LARGE. Why do you think it is BGE's best seller?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Go large or go home. :laugh: -RP
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I don't own a medium so it's hard to say. That being said I do own a large and love it. I can do low and slows for 24 hrs straight. I have done a lot of ribs and it's great for that. I have often thought more grid space would be nice for rib so they could lay flat and have better presentation.

Another plus is that there are more accessories for the large than any other size.

Good luck in your decision. You will probably get both sizes sooner or later anyway.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    My thoughts would be get the large in general. If you like doing ribs definitely get the large.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    just drop the extra couple bucks and get a large. I cook for 2 people and I run out of room on my large. Also as other people point out, there are more accessories for the large as well. Good luck hoss
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Pop for a large! Then save your butter and egg money to add a small later as a terrific combo!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I own both a Large and a Medium. I've had the Medium for 10 years and the Large for about 6 months. I love my Medium, but, I wouldn't want to feed a family of four with it. There are only two of us, so it fits nice most of the time. If your children are tweens or older, they're going to eat like adults (or more if they're boys). You're going to run out of grill real estate pretty quick with a Medium.

Also, ribs have to be sectioned or rolled to fit on the Medium.
  • Fire Walker
    Options
    A wise person once said "buy the biggest grill(Egg) you can afford".
  • Seidegger
    Options
    If you are cooking for more than 2, you have to go with the large...the medium puts to many limits on you
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    A number of members have Mediums and like them, but for a family of five (my current inventory of folks), I'd go with a Large. Plus, there are a lot more accessories for the Large.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Five in the family... you are going to need a large.