Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking???

Options
Lee2
Lee2 Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have any of you foum Eggers tried your hand at cold smoking? If so, can you tell me where you set the bottom damper and the Daisy Wheel to achieve 90-110°? I want to try cold smoking some cheese.

Comments

• Lee2, this is really wierd because yesterday I was in a BGE store specifically to ask about cold smoking!! They told me it isn't possible to achieve consistent temps below 150 degrees with the egg, but they heard from BGE owners that they saw something at this site for hooking up a clothes dryer exhaust hose to the BGE chimney and leading that into a smoke chamber. That is I repeat only what they heard, but that's why I got on this site today to see if I can find it.
    Beaver.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Lee2,[p]Cold smoking requires limiting the temp in your Egg yet having enough fire to create a smoke. The daisey is closed and the bottom vent is wide open (for oxygen supply to the fire). You will need to use soaked wood chips (overnight) that have been well drained. Excess water will kill this small fire. Use a towel to absorb any water that has not been absorbed by the wood.[p]Clean out your Egg and start a lump equal to three fist sizes of medium lump pieces outside of the Egg. When this gets going good, place it in a pile in the egg on the fire grate. Completely cover this pile with the smoking wood and insert the meal to be smoked.[p]This method should provide a nice low temp smoke. If the Egg temp tends to rise, simply add a couple of regular bricks on the grill (refrigerated bricks work very well) to keep the air temp down.

Spin

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Spin,[p]Another wonderful technique. I do believe you are the king of innovation Spin. From pizza to cold smoking steaks to now cold smoking cheese.[p]Keep up the innovations.[p]Fritz
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Derald Loomans,[p]In addition to the excellent post from Spin, which appears like it would certainly do the job, I remember seeing a post several months ago from our missing in action friend "Ashley" who posted a picture of the set up you are refering to. He had used a mini at ground level to burn a small fire for smoke then ran some sort of duct work into the lower vent of the large egg to achiev a cold smoke set up. He had posted a picture along with documentation of the set up and I found it to be very interesting. You may want to e-mail Ashley and see if he would be willing to share those pictures with you for some additional ideas.[p]I believe Spin's idea would work equally as well and would be much more simple to start out with and progress from there.

• Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks, Spin. Next weekend will be cheese time on the BGE!

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Spin,
    Cool idea (Pun intended).
    Is that regular red bricks or regular fire bricks? Is there a risk of red bricks cracking or exploding?[p]There was also the idea of freezing a drip pan full of water to keep the localized cooking grid temperature down. I do not remember who posted that idea but it was in reference to cold smoking salmon.[p]Happy Smoking,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, You and Spin have set me wheels in motion. Give me some details on whats required for cold smoked cheese in temperatures and what your striving for. I need time and temperatures. Also for cold smoking meats.
    C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]At these very low temperatures, regular red bricks will work just fine. I like the idea of ice.[p]Thanks,
    Spin

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p] That was me. See link below :-).[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Cold-Smoked Salmon Thread[/ul]