Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket Cooking time?...help?

Jail eggerJail egger Posts: 67
edited 2:44PM in EggHead Forum
I am doing a 12lb brisket, my first brisket on the egg. How long will it need to be on the grill,
I would not hesistate to use some foil to speed it up a bit.
·

Comments

• ombaomba Posts: 241
    FWIW ...
    In my brisket experience:
    1 - You have to wait.
    2 - Rushed brisket is like no brisket at all.
    3 - It always takes longer than I thought to reach that 195 or so.
    4 - Hungry? Make burgers.

Wish I could help more, but someone else will.
    Peter
    ·
  • Depends on how hot you are cooking it.

Low and slow woudl probably be 12-14 hours. You can wrap around 160 in foil.

You can also google search for kickass bbq and they have a hot and fast method that takes about 5-6 hours that is really not too bad.

Your choice.
    ·
  • Generally, it will take around 16 hours plus or minus an hour at 250 dome temp. I usually pull mine when internal temps hit 185. Check your dome therm calibration before you cook. Brisket is not a fast cook and if not done correctly will be a waste of time.
    ·
  • battbatt Posts: 40
    I always allow 1.5 hours per pound. It might not take that long or maybe a little longer. Every piece of meat is different. I cooked a 14lb brisket Saturday and it took 16 hours at 250 grate temps. Use time as a guide and internal temp to know when to pull. I usually pull at 195 meat temp. If using the BGE temp gauge, I would go with 225-250.
    ·
  • Depends on the meat, I did my first brisket (14.5#) on my LBGE for the superbowl and it turned out great (I bearly knew what I was doing). It took about 20 hours at 225-260 dome temp. I put it on Saturday night at 9pm and it was ready by 6pm at halftime after an hour of foil resting in a hot cooler. I would think usually it is 1-1.5hrs a pound. I had a thick whole brisket and it still fell short of 1.5lb/hr.
    ·
  • Here is a LINK that may help.
    ·