Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpener question

Options
Slick
Slick Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been shopping for a decent knife sharpener, and am considering the Chef's Choice, but I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 120 and 130 models. The comparison chart indicates that the 120 has a pre-sharpening stage, followed by a sharpening stage and a stropping stage. The 130 does not have a pre-sharpening stage, combines the sharpening and honing, then stropping. The price is the same. Is there any particular advantage of one over the other or am I just confusing myself for no good reason?

Slick

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    The pre-sharpening stage is for grinding a NEW edge. I have found it useful. I have the chrome 110 and have loved it ever since. About 1 time per year I re-grind new edges and then sharpen and hone.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    What kind of knives do you have?

German, Japanese or ???

High priced or just 'stuff'?

Spacey
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I use the CC 120 on Henkels and whatnot and it does a great job for me.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I have the 130 and use it on all knives including hunting knives and fillet knives..it's a great sharpener...
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Nothing special or exotic on my knives, same set of Chicago Cutlery for over 25 years, couple of other chef's knives, etc. I understand that some of the high end have different bevels, requiring a different sharpener. I'm not there yet, but have been looking at the Kyocera ceramics, which are a totally different ball game.

Slick
  • DrZaius
    Options
    I have Wusthof Grand Prix.

I invested in quality knives about 6 years ago and they have really paid off. They will easily last me another 20.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    I really like the Kyrocera knives especially the black ones. They are really sharp looking. I would not mind having the 6" for vegetable cutting since the ceramics do not react to vegetables (discolor). But I would not give up my grand prix knives for anything.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Isn't there issues with the blade temper when using an electric sharpener?
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the speed of the CC units or the likelihood of heat, but I have seen what they do to knives. I wasn't impressed.

DISCLAIMER: I'm about to talk about my day job. :laugh:

Take a look at http://www.tormek.com The Tormek systems are slow speed water-cooled sharpening systems for all types of tools. They're particularly adept at kitchen cutlery, including ceramics. The smaller T-3 model would be ideal for someone maintaining kitchen cutlery and a few household tools. The big brother T-7 is a heavyweight unit for woodworking and woodturning tools that will also handle the knives just fine.

After finding the forum, I discovered AZRP is a satisfied customer.
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey Slick,

I have had the CC 120 for several years. I bought it when I purchased my Kershaw Shun knives. For years I was working as a private chef and used my knives everyday. The CC 120 has done a great job as have my Shun knives. I rarely have to use any but the stropping and polishing stage and that only two or three times a year. I am very particular about how my knives get used and cared for. They only get used on a proper cutting board, they are only used for what they were designed for (cutting food), never get thrown in the stainless sink with other utensils and I am very particular about who uses them. I also store them in the original boxes. You could almost do surgery with these knives any day of the week.
    The CC 120 uses only diamond abrasives and is guaranteed to never detemper a knife. The diamond abrasive cuts fast enough so the blade never gets hot enough to detemper if used properly.
    If the 120 and 130 are the same price I would go with the three stage 120, you may need that first stage some day and it will be there.
    I also use my CC 120 for my Swiss Army knives and it does a great job.

Gator
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hmmm..didn't look these up but the 130 I have DOES have 3 stages including a stropping...
  • Eggmoramus
    Options
    I have had a 130 for several years and it works pretty well. The extra slot is for really dull knives and is only used sparingly. The only problem that I had with the 130 is that after awhile the rubber casing around the knife slots makes a groove and it keeps the knife from lining up properly. I just bought the new Chef's Choice 1520. I have used it one time and I feel that it puts a better edge on a knife. The best method of course is a wet stone but I have never been able to master that. Hope this helps.
  • Eggmoramus
    Options
    I also have a couple of the Kyocera ceramics and they are way to fragile for the average person.
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Eggtucky wrote:
    hmmm..didn't look these up but the 130 I have DOES have 3 stages including a stropping...

Eggtucky, thanks for pointing out my error, the old eyes must be going. :blink:

Gator
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Tormek rocks!

My buddy bought one at the Tulsa wood working show a couple of years back and it changed my world with respect to what I could do with a knife. My old wedding gift set would do amazing things and my planer blades cut like a hot knife through butter.

I'll have to check out the smaller one as the T-7 is all I've ever seen.

Bruce
  • DrZaius
    Options
    The tormek looks like the real deal. MSRP has got to be high
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    It is what I use, and wouldn't trade it for anything else. -RP
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Well, the big one (T-7) is about the price of a Medium Egg and the little one (T-3) is about the price of a Small Egg. :) :woohoo: