Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inaugural Cook

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MiniM004.jpg
<p />Tonight was the first cook for my new mini.......... the mini that I, ahem, won at Eggfest.
heeeeeee![p]A salt and pepper 18 oz. ribeye seared at 550-600 F, flipped a couple of times and served with a nice green salad. It made me very happy.[p]Ok....... I know how to get this smaller than small cooker to high temps but I would really welcome some pointers, suggestions, recipes, techniques on how to cook with this at lower temps between 250 and say, 350.[p]I've been wanting one of these for a long time and now that I have one I'd like to learn how to best use this little critter.[p]Thanks..... and Thanks, Dale![p]John[p]

Comments

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Oh, man--that picture belongs on a magazine cover!
    It's a thing of beauty!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    dog.. ..couldn't have been a better or more deserving winner than you. . .i think everybody was really happy that you went home with the mini. . .[p]now, was that picture taken before or after you made love to it????

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    bdavidson,
    i agree with you, and forgot to mention myself that the picture is worthy of any cooking magazine. . .bge outa use it for advertising. . .

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Hey now! Let's not forget you were the one who switched ticket stubbs while I wasn't looking which is why you are searing quality beef this evening and I am eating left over cold cuts for dinner...hehehehehe.
    Great pic and Im sure it melted in your mouth. Enjoy my, ahem, your mini. Got one myself and it will definatley keep you happy many more times to come!.
    <deep breath>....<deeper breath>.... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Doggies!!!!!!!!!

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Agreed. "Bon Apetit," yes. "Cooking Light," no.
    :-)

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]to get low temps replace the green cap with aluminum foil. Cover the chimney, then punch tiny holes in the foil. The more holes - the higher the temp. the fewer holes, the lower the temp. [p]great pics.
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    MiniM007.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Kind words.... thank you![p]The answer to your question...... During.[p]This picture was taken After......... hence the glow.[p]heeeee![p] [p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    dog, once again, what a cool picture, i can't believe the colors you got goin on in there. . .were you achieving molten lava temps in that little deal. . .i'm really thinking i need my second egg now (probably a small as i do have to feed four), but it would be great for the single steak or burgers on high temps. ...[p]that is just awesome!!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Congratulations on your win of the mini, and the pictures reflect that you need very little help.
    Mitch(Hammer)

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Now that is one cool picture John. I agree with eveyone that the BGE should grab this for there wall in the office.[p]Earl

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    BGE doesn't make a daisy wheel for the mini, but the daisy for a small will work if you line the inside with a couple turns of gasket material.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I agree dude. Very cool picture. I am sure some luck was involved with the lighting, and that VERY cool blue background really sets off the warm colors for the subject itself. Of course, just a little luck was involved. Juan-John is an artist ya know. A right brained feller with a keen eyeball.[p]I also agree that Dr. Woo was THE person who should have won the mini. Then again, I could picture myself in his shoes easily, and can envision Woo in my place.....winning a brand spankin' new bag of BGE lump. If this were the case, I doubt I could top WD with that picture. And let's see WD take an intriguing picture of a bag of lump!! He could do it.[p]Hee
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Could you email me? I don't see your email addy, and I ended up with about 40 copies of your rolled flank steak and mandarin wing recipes! I think they got stuck in my box when they were cleaning off the tables.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Can't let another minute go by without adding my congratulations! And from the pictures, it's easy to see that the best man won![p]Ken

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]That is one great photo, I don't think my mini ever looked that good. It was great meeting you at the fest and I look forward to the next one. Those legs you made were fantastic, I'll be doing them some time soon. I have a huge list of things I want to do some time soon there was so much good food at the fest. [p]Chuck
  • Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    Options
    WooDoggies, congats on the new egg but man what a great pic, thanks, It makes a great wallpaper/background on my work pc, unfortunatly you owe me a new monitor cause I just took a bite out of it! What type of camera are you using?

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the great responses...... I know I'm milking this but I'm as tickled as anyone can be for winning that tiny egg.[p]True Story: Saturday morning registration for the eggfest, I greet the lovely Lisa and she hands me my name tag, the goodie bag and a ticket stub for the door prizes.
    She drops my duplicate ticket down the chimney of the mini egg that was setting next to her on the registration desk.
    She tells me the drawings for the door prizes will be held at the end of the day and the mini is the grand prize.
    I tell her, "That mini is mine."[p]At the end of the day, Dale runs through the door prizes by pulling the tickets from the mini and calling out the numbers. Just before Dale calls out the number for the mini, I turn to Kathleen and say, "That mini's mine."
    Dale bellowed out "248!".... my ticket read 248..... and that mini was mine. Scout's honor. :~)[p]
    Jeff, the camera I used for that shot is an old Olympus D-500L SLR digital ....... it is one tempermental, cantankerous, mind-of-it's-own, sonofabeech to use...... but when it cooperates it can be sweet!
    I don't know if they still make that style.[p]A rule of thumb that has worked well for me is to simply avoid using the flash whenever you can get away with it..... and that is for any subject.
    Flashes wash out color and tend to flatten your subject..... and worst of all, it can taint a beautifully colored subject, like that ribeye, with a bluish hue.... which I don't find very appealing on food.[p]Shooting with available or ambient light will always give a richer, more 3 dimensional and natural looking image.... in my opinion.[p]And Chris is right, I did get lucky with the lighting on that one.[p]Cheers!
    John[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Good to see you are putting the mini to good use. That has to be the best door prize I've ever seen.