Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt got done really fast

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first pork butt last night i did it at 250 dome temp. It was an 8 lb butt. It only took 8 hours to reach 195 degrees internal. This seems really fast. also I had to get up at 4:00 this morning to take it off the egg. Did I do something wrong?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    every one is different thats why you cook to temp. Did you calibrate the thermometer? I've never had one go that quick but had several that size go 18 to 22 hrs. How did it taste when you pulled it? Don't think you did anything wrong and bet it was good. :)
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Yes the thermometer is calibrated. It was pretty good, but not the best pulled pork I have ever had. I am anxious to try it again.
  • Bluecrab3
    Options
    HarleyD,

Give it another shot. If the Butt was not falling apart, I suspect you got a false positive reading due to your probe being near the bone....or it may be a bad probe....IF the Butt fell apart, the next time you pull it, sprinkle your favorite rub IN the swine....yum...
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Did you test the temp at several locations? Could be that you had the probe near the bone or a fat pocket. I had one this morning that read 195, but when I checked another location, it read 185. I also always wiggle the bone just to make sure it's loose and if it isn't close to falling apart when I try to pull it off, I leave it on until it does.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    It was good. I am just baffled at how fast it cooked. Also I wasn't crazy about the bark on the outside of the butt. I generally really like the slightly crispy smokey burnt ends, but I didn't really have any of those.