Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basil from Eggtoberfest

Options
Perennial Smoke
Perennial Smoke Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone at Eggtoberfest had a really huge leaved basil that I would love to grow this year. I'm having a hard time remembering who it was and what variety of basil it was. It was HUGE. Please help!
Nancy
Oswego, IL

Comments

• Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Was that the guy making pizzas? That basil was good. Unfortunately, I can't remember the variety or his name.
  • Perennial Smoke
    Options
    I can't remember. He brought the whole plant in a pot. Said it grew really fast...
    Nancy
    PS - I'm a DeadHead, too.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I remember him, he was making pizza. He was next to Lazy Gator Q crew, the organizers of the Ocala Eggfest. Maybe they would know.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Yup, that was the guy. Used 6-in-1 tomatoes w/ locatelli for sauce. 6-in-1 When you find out the variety, post it please. I want to grow some, too.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Add my name to the "who was that guy and I want to grow that basil" crowd as well.

He was probably 30s, prematurely gray, was using a very soft pizza dough that he spread out with his fingers (no tossing or twirling) and cooked on a 550º pizza stone (no pan or screen used) that he measured with a non-contact IR thermometer.

It was very good pizza and I was disappointed to realize later that I'd left without contact info or recipe. I was so mesmerized by the pizza that I didn't even take a picture. :angry:

I think he had two or three of the giant-leaf basils and sold a pot or two before leaving just to avoid carrying it.

Anyone? Anyone? Buellar?

Addendum:
    Quick internet search shows two basil varieties with extra-large leaves:
    —Ocimum basilicum (Nufar; 4" leaf)
    —Valentino basil (somewhat drab in color, ruffled)
  • Perennial Smoke
    Options
    As I was looking through the seed catalogs I saw "Napolitano Mammoth Leafed Basil" and that rang a bell - I know I had asked him the variety name.
    It is available at www.kitchengardenseeds.com and also at www.johnnyseeds.com (they spell it Napoletano)

I'm gonna try it!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Cool! I think you found it, Perennial! :)

I'm a basil fiend in my herb garden, usually have at least five varieties (Genovese, lemon, Thai, purple, globe). Gotta get me some of this!

This basil is described with several apparently equivalent terms:
    [ol]lettuce leaf basil
    mammoth basil[/ol]
    Wiki says 18" tall, stronger in flavor than Genovese basil, a cultivar of Ocimum basilicum (sweet basil)

Hmm, now I'm wondering what's different about the Valentino...

Maybe one of our Italian cooking experts could tell us if they use basil differently in Naples than in Genoa? Is there an Italian regional difference that would explain the larger leaf in the south?