Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats Your Egg History:

Options

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You DO have a problem.... :whistle::whistle:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    thanks,,i have the tools , it has been more of an issue of time and design not sure where i want to put the eggs giving the limited space in the breeze way . i already have a hunk of blue tinted granite.. i do not have a chop saw and am now thinking i may make that my next 'toy' got to get the basement cleaned up first though,,
    beef ribs from costco tonight,
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Wess I really like your setup, sweettttttttttttttttt.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Tried my first egg in 96 borrowing my dealers grill trailer , which I still do to this day, for the superbowl. Bought my first large in 2000 and still didn't really know what I had until I found the forum in late 04 (I remember most of the names that Mike posted a few days ago). Lurked for a few years and never posted but would search through the posts until I found the info needed and only then realized the versatility of the egg. Bought my second large in 05 and will have a small soon. Even as a lurker this forum was the most useful tool around and while I felt like an outsider it was not until I registered and started running my mouth that I saw it was really just one big happy dysfunctional family and newbies like me were welcomed with open arms. Going to an eggfest just sealed the deal and confirmed the dysfunctional family and I fit right in. Many thanks to the oldtimers that I never thanked before and look forward to making more friends at future fests.

The first egg I ever cooked on

grills.jpg
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    shy little thang!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Kahuna9000
    Options
    My neighbor Steve had one in Atlanta, and he never stopped talking about it! My wife bought me a small at a yard sale in 1998. When we move to PHL from ATL, I traded in the small for a medium and a nest in winter of 2001.

I've been lurking since '98, and I'm still learning!

My latest addition is a great table, built by my father. I think it was in return for introducing him to the Egg (he got his medium last year).
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Bought "Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler" (XL) fall of 07

IMG_2228800x600.jpg

Added "Geaux Tigers" (S) summer of 08

IMG_2222800x600.jpg

Dealer gave me "Lagniappe" (mini) fall of 08

IMG_2793800x600.jpg

"Geaux Tigers" and "Lagniappe" have hit the road many times

IMG_3522800x600.jpg

This is a great place to hang out - I have learned a bunch here. Thanks a bunch.

Nice thread for a Sunday morning with a second cup of coffee PBM. Boss is calling - gotta geaux get ready for church. :)
  • Kahuna9000
    Options
    Hey- sorry we missed th PA Eggfest last year. Hope to see you this year in Hatfield!

Chris
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Got my first egg in August of 2006. Frustrated with my gasser, Food and Wine magazine showed up with the top 10 grills and the egg was listed. Researched all of them and found this board. Food pics were amazing. The Iowa State Fair had a demo of the egg and I tasted some ribs from there and bought the egg. in the spring of 07 I bought a small to go along with it.

At the advice of some friends I started competing in 2007 and by the middle of that year I bought a second large. By the start of 2008 season I added an XL to the collection.

Going to try and add a mini this spring.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I was all set to buy a big new stainless grill with inferred heating and all the bells and whistles after my old grill gave out. I was shopping around and I stopped in at a propane dealer to see what they had. Believe it or not they sell the BGE. When talking to the salesman about what food I liked and what I would like to try making he asked me if I ever heard about BGE. I looked at him and asked what the hack was that. Well he shows me this thing that looked like a green bomb and tells me all about it. I went home and Googled BGE and found this forum along with WessB's and other Eggers websites. After a month or two trolling I bought my first large BGE and I have never regretted it. Fast forward 4 years and I now have 2 larges and a small and I am trying to figure out how to sneak in a Mini in the house without the Mrs. saying I am totally nuts.

PICT5064.jpg
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I bought my large in 1996 and have been happily egging all alone til last August when I discovered this forum. Since then, I have learned alot from this site and met many new friends. Attended the last Eggtoberfest and then bought a MINI in December. I am now on my way to Egghead freakdom like the rest of you, not sure what my next Egg will be.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: thought the second took 9 months B)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I remember your wood table when you started out Mike.

I got a joke when my wife said she was getting me a green egg when gave me this. :laugh:
    MVC-003F.jpg
    Got my first egg Christmas 2004 then won a mini in 2006 with the BGE Forum Photo Contest Grand Prize then got another large 2008 at the first Eggwegofest. :woohoo:
    The family grows.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    I was all set to buy a big new stainless grill with inferred heating and all the bells and whistles after my old grill gave out

December 08: we were that close, too, when decided we could not part with charcoal and went with the BGE, which we had been eyeing for a few years!

Went with a large, but the mini had already stolen my heart (it's sooo cute :whistle: ). Hubby wants small for bread/pizza (but the mini is sooo cute :whistle: )
    Wonder about the chimea being used like habichi???? :side: (that mini is still sooo cute :silly: )

Thanks ladies and gents for all the help and posts :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it all started for me quite innocently.. i was working for an auto auction as a dealer rep. i would go around to diffrernt towns and stop at every car lot in the town and then move on to another.. well the auction has diffrent prizes it gives away at diffrent times of the year.. so for one of them our general manager suggested one of our prizes be a big green egg.. (i thought he was nuts). but one of the guys in the meeting said that big he used to live in atlanta and the big green egg had a "Retail Outlet" on buford highway.. so i had atlanta at that time so i was told to go check it out and buy one.. i bought a large and talked to the two fellows in there.. one was B.A. and the other was john creel..

well it took several diffrent trips before i was drooling.. we gave away 4 that first year.. when i got my tax money the next year and bought my first egg.. 5 years later i started showing up here on a daily basis a month later i was at eggtoberfest

100_0029-1.jpg

and that is when i got my second egg a small

100_0047.jpg

come to think of it i may need another egg or two :pinch: :blink: :kiss:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I bought our first Large Egg in Nov 05.
    I bought our second Large Egg in Feb 06.
    I bought our third Large Egg in Mar 07.
    I bought a Small Egg in Dec 08.

Sold all three Larges in Jan 09.

I have three new shiney Larges coming in next week.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    :huh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Mike:

Bought a medium in Jan. 2002 and added the first large in March 2005, mini in Sept. 2005 and second large in March 2006 (gave the medium to my son). Best decisions ever made with regard to cooking equipment!!!

Built the outdoor kitchen in 2007!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• ViennaJack
    Options
    Great thread Mike!

I lusted and lurked for a few years before my first Egg arrived in October 2007. I had a old Brinkmann electric bullet smoker that was silly easy to use and always gave consistent results. Just wrap a couple of wood chunks in foil with a few hole pokes, then plug and play. We used it all the time, but it never felt right to have to plug a "smoker" into the wall. My wife was working for a BGE dealer who was also a friend of ours, and we'd talk about the Egg all the time. One day the element in the Brinkmann blew (the second one in 10 years) and I switched to cooking "open pit style" on a big outdoor fire pit I had. I was using BGE lump hardwood charcoal from where my wife was working and we were still cooking all the time, but I was going through an insane amount of charcoal with the open pit setup.

One day in October 2007 I get home from work and my wife says "Why don't we put something on the grill tonight?"

I say sure, but I don't think I have any charcoal.

She says "Why don't you check and see?"

I say "I'm pretty sure we're out, I'll just run into town and get some."

She gives me "that look", and says, again, "WHY DON'T YOU CHECK AND SEE?"

I go out to the deck and there it is, a brand new LBGE in a nest with Eggmates - and a couple of bags of lump. It was my birthday present from the family.

I became addicted immediately. I still cook on it all the time. It seems like the only time I use my stove is to cook the stew I make from all of the turkeys I smoke.

In May 2008 I helped my dealer friend with a demo cook during a Memorial Day festival in town and accepted no payment. We had two Eggs going and it was a blast, and he sold at least nine Eggs as a result. I stopped by to visit him a week or two later and noticed a SWEET old LBGE sitting by the front door, pre-spring assist hinges, with the ceramic grate and a very rusty pre-stainless steel bottom draft door. I asked him why he had it - was he showing it off to potential buyers so they could see how durable they were?

"Nope, I got this from a guy who came in and bought a new Large. We delivered it and and he asked us to take this one away - he just wanted us to dispose of it. I thought you might want to have it as a thank-you gift for helping out with Viva Vienna."

Needless to say that old Egg was up on my deck a few days later. He gave me a new SS draft door and a gasket. I gave it a good cleaning burn to get rid of the 1/4" of accumulated gunk, installed the new door and gasket and now I have a second LBGE. It's not often that I use both, but it sure is handy to have them when I need them.

Before:

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

After:

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

It's been a great hobby and I love the forum. Thanks to everyone for all of the great posts and ideas.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mike,

Got my first large in 98 and an XL a couple of years after. Found the forum around then. Decided to get a small to use on small cooks shortly after. Now this is where it gets confusing, for me anyway. Use the side burner on my gasser to heat some water while doing yardwork. The inner part of the gasser is all filled with egg stuff and hasn't been used in years. I had a bag of lump under the side burner to keep it out of the rain. Spider drops into lump,lights it and the house is toast. Do I replace a $3,000 gasser with another..I think not. Large and medium. During reconstruction XL dissapears and large gets broken in storage...nuther large and XL and while I'm at it I decide on another large. Score at this point 1 XL, Four large, Medium and Small.
    Then, after I think I have enough 9 wonderful and crazy guys chip in to send me a mini.
    I know, I know, sorry you asked right.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Was looking for a charcoal grill for the outdoor kitchen that I was having built which was dubbed the "Egg-Ma-Hall". Was ready to go with the big old stainless unit. Stumbled on the Egg again after seeing one a few years ago. Visited several grill stores and they said the Egg was the best and most versatile grill they sold.

Found the forum and researched for a month. With all the input they said I could get two Eggs and have the ability to cook different things at different temps. Bought two larges right off the bat, got half off on all the accessories I bought that day and didn't and still came out several hundreds of dollars ahead of the stainless unit.

That was Feb 08 and have been impressing guest ever since with all the help of the forum and the recipes and ideas you get.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Great story...actually had me LOL... :laugh: Hope all is well up there...AYE..
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Bought my Large in 1998.

First Fest Waldorf '99

Mini as a birthday gift '03

Lusting for a Small or Medium
  • big hound
    Options
    I've been in charge of the family bbqin' since I was a teen. Years later I was looking for something better than my old Smokey Joe water smoker. Kept an eye on some strange green egg that the local dealer had on display. It was so different than anything they had in the store, but the sales people didn't know much about it so they mostly ignored it. But I knew there was something special about it, besides the EGG just kept calling my name. And sometime in 2000 I bought the large.... tossed my Smokey Joe away a few months later.
  • BostonEggSox
    Options
    Been Egging on the Large for a little over a year now. The gas grill has not been opened since (except for storage).

Summer Egg'n is soooo much fun.
    100_1547.jpg

100_1548.jpg

Winter Egg'n....still fun, but not as much :(
    100_1742.jpg

Wackiest Eggsperience..Big Mac Pizza..awesome though! It is exactly 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed crust......details were posted a couple of months ago.
    100_1828.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I first saw a BGE late fall of '99 and after researching and lurking on the board Pat and I decided to buy a large in April, 2000. Three months later in July she surprised me with a small for my birthday.

A year later she surprised me again with the medium.

Then after a dry spell she really surprised me with the mini in July, '05.

BTW - no, I have no desire for a XL - and she understands that.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL good thread. I first saw them online and decided I HAD to have one. hounded the hubby and got it to take the FL 2 years ago maybe 3??? we have a med in fl now and getting a mini in March at the fest. then at home in Maine we have a Large at the studio, and a med, small and Mini at home. We might be getting another med to take to the studio and have the two med's there and bring the large home.'Cept the son dragged the mini to his house while we are gone this winter, he is a cooking fool. I wish he could get pics on here from his cooks. he is stuffing anything and everything on that poor thing. Maybe for a baby shower gift we should get them a small?? LOL
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Great thread, Mike.

And, very timely, too. I just ran across a copy of the invoice for my Medium. It's dated February 3, 1999. As I remember it took close to a week to get it, so we're on or near our 10th anniversary together.

We went to a store called "Hot Stuff" to buy a set of ceramic logs for our previously unused fireplace. They had every conceivable kind of grill on display, including this funny looking green egg lookin' thing. At the time I had a fancy Weber with gas assist starter. I used it a lot, but it took up far too much of our small deck. I became intrigued with the Egg, researched it for a few weeks, and went back the first of February and bought one. For ten years now I've cooked on it at least once a week all year round. Most of the time it is 3 or 4 times per week. 4 years ago we moved from KC to Springfield and went from a postage stamp back deck to a huge concrete patio. The medium covers most of our needs, but is a little small for entertaining. We talked about trading up to a large, but never seemed to get around to it. Then last summer the BGE dealer in Springfield invited us to cook at his EGGstravaganza. We decided not only to cook, but to take advantage of the demo deal they were offering. I even printed a sign to put out on our table saying that we had a Medium for sale. Luckily, I felt guilty about selling an Egg at their event and never put the sign out. I'm so glad we decided to wait a few weeks before selling the Medium, because now, I never will. Having both is great. I seldom have both going (although it's happened) but it is nice to be able to choose the one that will do a specific cook best.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I am a newbee, only 6 cooks under my belt. Had the best steak I have ever eaten (I have said that about 30 times in my life I am sure) last Fall at a friends house. He talked for 2 hours straight on the glory of the egg and told me about the forum. I was converted. Told Dad about it, he said "I have one of those." Sure enough there was a 1970's Japanese green kamado on the porch that I had forgotten all about. I cleaned out the mud dobber nests, did a clean burn on it and cooked some ABTs. The second batch turned out great! ;)

Bought a small bge for my house 3 weeks ago and I love it. Planning on attending 1 or 2 eggfests this spring.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    greenegg.jpg

I won my first Egg on the Price is Right. 488345bd.gif
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery