Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork preparations have been made

Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am ready to do my first overnight cook. I am doing an 8# pork butt. I am bringing it up to room temp right now. I have rubbed the outside with dizzy dust. I have completely cleaned my egg of ashes. I have loaded the egg with fresh charcoal. I am pretty excited. If anyone has any suggestions or things that I need to remember to do let me know.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Did you fill the lump to the top of the fire ring?
    I don't have a fancy computer controlled fan so I sleep on the couch and have a few adult drinks and when I wake up in the night I check the temp. Life is Good.
    Good luck Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Don't even look for at least ten hours. I am doing a shoulder tonight that I just put on.It may take sixteen hours to cook if you are at 250 dome.If you want check the temperature before you go to bed.
  • Good luck HarleyD...you are going to be just fine. I can tell you are really enjoying your egg.
  • I am totally enjoying my egg. I have the charcoal to the top of the fire ring, maybe a little higher. I have a remote thermometer so I will set alarms for low temp dome, and for 195 degrees for the pork. I am PUMPED!
  • Don't get too excited when the temp shoots up to 140 deg fast. That happens then it will slow to about 165 deg then apparently stop for quite a while before continuing on to the 195-200 deg range.

After your first one it will occur to you that two can cook as easily and in the same time as one.
  • We'll be there for you. If it comes off too soon, no problem...towel cooler method for up to 4 hours...if it's going to slow, no problem...we'll jack up the temperature towards the end. We'll be there for ya...just sit back, relax, and let the egg do it's thing. You will have some delicious swine tomorrow.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Just don't forget to let it rest in foil, perhaps with some beef broth, in the towels and ice chest.