Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger---Hey Y'all !

Options
IndependentGrocer
IndependentGrocer Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading these forums since I got my egg at Christmas. Thanks for all the wonderful information.
I have been in the grocery business for 42 years. There's not alot I don't know about food, and I'm still learning. Feel free to ask me questions. I'm always happy to help.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Hello Phil,
    Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you already realize how kind and helpful everyone is.
    JupiterJim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Welcom to the cult, er club Phil. What part of the country are ya in? Wholesale or retail grocer?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Welcome. This is the place to help and learn. Now for the help part, how much to ship flatirons to Fl. I can't find them here :laugh: :laugh:
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    I own a retail store in Pine Mountain, GA. I started cutting meat when I was 13 years old, back when you wrapped it in paper and wrote the price on it with a crayon. :laugh:
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    Ask your butcher for DelMonicos. He may know that term better. Different parts of the country call the same cut of meat different names. He is prolly unfamiliar with a flatiron.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    go to publix they have them ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Do they call them flatirons at publix? I have looked for them and not found them. I haven't asked for them as I rarely see a real person in the meat dept.
    Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• BENTE
    Options
    they do at mine!!

they are a top blade roast with the membrane cut out... (i think it is a top blade roast)

if you can find it the roast has a membrane that is easily removable with a good knife.. i have done this several times myself but if you are friends with the meat guy they will do it for you.. the top blade roast is $3.99 and flat iron is $5.99 per pound.. so if you have a good knife it is really worth it to know how it is done ;)

and if they can't figure it out have them call any of the guys at the clemson blvd publix in anderson s.c. the manager's name is richard heck of a nice guy and would help your meat person out if asked :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Thanks BENTE,
    I will print that and take it with me.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• IndependentGrocer
    Options
    Find a good local independent grocery store. Stay out of chain stores if at all possible. Most of there meat is precut at a central location, injected, wrapped, and sent out to all stores in their district. Kroger started this craziness several years ago. If they do have a butcher, he usually goes home around 2:00 PM so go in the mornings.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Hey Terry I only found them once at Publix and they were labeled flat iron. Don't remember how much but they were under $5 a pound
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    They are also called chuckeye steaks.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Welcome. I am a new egger too. It is a lot of fun, and the results are awesome.
  • BENTE
    Options
    let me know how it works out for you

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    Thanks I'll look for them. I have a 2"delmonico going on tonight
  • Never Summer
    Options
    Welcome Phil!

That was really helpful info about the different names for a flatiron steak.

I live in a small town and they still wrap the meat in paper and write the price with a crayon! :cheer:

I'm amazed at all I've learned from this forum - I'm sure you will be, too.

Patty
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Hi Phil,

Welcome to the egghead forum and thanks for already helping me out with the spatchcock situation. I'm sure we'll all be calling upon your expertise.

I've cut out the backbone and they are now in the fridge. By the way, I agree about using an independent grocer if possible. My independent gets in grain fed, antibiotic free, hormone free, free range chickens without added water. You can certainly tell a big difference!

eenie meenie
  • SoDak Wayne
    Options
    Welcome from another Newbie. Here is what we had tonight, Jalepeno Poppers..

IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg

Wow, did they ever rock...
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    You don't do that anymore? My meat market does. I know the grocers don't, but don't the meat markets still wrap in paper and use the black crayola?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey Phil,

Congrats and welcome to the EggNation!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and eggin.

Out here an independent grocer is a hard road, my had is off to you.

Looking forward to hearing some of your cooks.

GG
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Welcome Phil to a bunch of Great Egg Heads that are here to help out all. May all your cooks be awesome and come out just what your looking for.
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I try to support the one independent grocery store here in my hometown (produce is their big weakness). It is sad that no one even seems to want customer service anymore...the chains have eliminated it.

Since no one has asked you yet, I will ask the obvious...can an independent grocer such as yourself find a way to get La Bomba??? I would happily drive from Alabama to your store to get some, since everyone on the forum who has access to it seems to love it.