Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portable?

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It seems this question was raised a while back, with no easy answer.[p]Has anybody figured out a way to safely (and hopefully easily) transport the egg?[p]My wife has volunteered me (and Mr.Egg)to do a BBQ at a park for her company. The park is another city.[p]I am trying to figure out if there might be a good way to tie one down on a utility (flat bed) type trailer.[p]Any suggestions?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    WJS,
    I've been thinking about that for some time now and decided that I would build a transporter of sorts. Maybe a box with enough room for some packing material. I would want it to serve a dual purpose so I would probably design some easily removable legs that would allow me to use it to support the Egg wherever I was taking it. Finlly, I think I would leave my large where it is and use a medium or small for off site cooking (moving the large is hard work and could become expensive to replace). A smaller Egg would probably be a good investment anyway. Besides, you know they will invite you back so why not prepare for it.[p]Keep us posted on what you come up with.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Tar Heel Smokey Mon
    Options
    WJS,[p]Purchased a small primarily for trips. A small box about half the height of the egg will keep it from tipping over. It is plenty heavy enough, but once in the back of my Subaru Outback, it rides just fine. The BGE - no way I'm gonna move it. The MGE, too much also. Taking the SGE down to Ocraocke Island with us next weekend for a week.
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    WJS, You probably already figured this out, but if your egg is moved on wheels, always pull it toward you. Pushing and tipping it over is an expensive experiment.

• Grate Grills
    Options
    WJS,
    I have had luck by placing Mr. egg in the passenger seat of my vehicle. Just set in the seat, wrap the seatbelt around and go. This does upset my passengers as the feel second class to the egg but, oh well....kurt

• Unknown
    Options
    WJS,
    I have the large egg.
    I stand mine up in the back of my SUV and tie cords around the chimney to the headrests in the back seat to keep it from pitching back as I take off. It rides just fine.
    Clean out the ashes first!