Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping - thirdeye Buckboard Question

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am just getting ready to put some BB Boston Butt on the egg.

I sued the correct amount of HM cure and rubbed it well into the butt.

I rinsed last night, dried and put in the fridge. I noticed there is some yellow or yellow/green color on the meat on both the top & bottom. About an inch or two wide and 4 to 6 inches long maybe smaller.

Have you or anyone ever noticed anything like that when doing buckboard cure?

Also, do you season these with anything when cooking them?

GG

Comments

• I've experienced yellow but not green, as far as seasoning, copius amounts of fresh cracked pepper.

FireWalker
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    DITTO, Cracked pepper is a must IMHO.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I'll go with the easy answer first.....Cracked Pepper.

I'm guessing that the color you see is a stain, not something growing?? Are there any odors? What kind of container did you cure it in?

Some folks have reported areas of slight color change and I think it's from air in the bag or something. You know I turn every other day, and once mine produce liquid I make sure it's distributed on each turn.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The color is more of a yellow, if the pictures come out I will put them up tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks, Kent
  • Thanks Richard, pepper it will be.

Kent
  • Thanks, no 'off' smell at all - not even a predominant pork smell for that matter.

I did the cure in 1 gal zip lock and pushed as much air out as possible. There is not much liquid at all that came out of the butt. I don't reacall the meat itself feeling overly moist after the cure and before the soak.

I rotated during the rest 6 days out of the 10. With the zip lock. There wasn't much air in the bag so most of the meat would have been touching the meat.

The texture of the meat looks the same in both the colored area as it does right next to the normal color.

Just by looking I would say it looks more like a stain rather than something developing.

I took some pictures, if the color shows up I will put them up later on tonight or tomorrow.

I need to put some pepper on the butt and get it in the egg.

GG
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    GG I just did mine day before yesterday and I found a similar stained look on one of my butts. It was mostly on some of the fat. After I smoked it, I did'nt notice it anymore and the flavor sure was'nt an issue, it was great.

I did not season with anything and it was great but I could imagine that pepper would be awsome.
  • Most time when I leave something int he fridge for 10 days it takes a lot of thinking to see if I am going to eat it.

I am sure looking forward to this. The tenderloin I did last week was excellent.

Kent
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    "Most time when I leave something int he fridge for 10 days it takes a lot of thinking to see if I am going to eat it."

Must never have lived on your own while in college! :laugh: :blink:

I've only done BB on a butt twice now, and both times I had a similar discoloration. But like has been said already, no foul odor means cook away! I'm so happy with this - and thanks to Thirdeye and your guidance! - I'll always have this on hand. Wife and I absolutely love it!

I made the mistake of giving too much of it away first time I made it (but it was Christmas time) that we only had a little over a pound of it to ourselves. This time I made 14 pounds, and gave away about three pounds of it! Foodsavers up very nicely.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Hey Grandpa, how is the bacon doing???
  • Came out great, had to cut some just of the press (egg) and give it a taste. Tomorrow will be the real tasting. I am hoping we didn't eat all the tenderloin I want to do a comparison.

I am just now poking around the forum and downloading the pictures off of the camera. I will get a post up tomorrow depending on g-kids basket ball games.

I sure appreciate everyone's help on this.

GG