Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waldorf chili recipe

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I'd post this early in case anyone is interested.[p]Per batch (about 2/3 gallon) I'll be making a quantity equivalent to 3 of these at Waldorf (50 servings).[p]2 rashers bacon
1 lb. meat - I like a 50/50 blend of "chili grind" ground chuck and leftover BBQ meat in a medium dice (brisket, pulled pork, etc) I'll be using tri-tip
2 14.5 oz. cans chili beans (Bushs, Libbeys, Joan of Ark, etc) and your choice of mild/med/hot
1 29 oz. can seasoned diced tomatos (Italian style with garlic/oregano)
1 large sweet onion chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
2 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. coriander
salt and fresh ground pepper for browning beef
1/2 cup Merlot or fruity red wine
1/2 tsp. each of cinnamon/cocoa powder - optional if you like Cincinnati style
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
1-2 whole dried chilies (ancho, poblano, etc)
wood chips/chunks for smoking - I will use apple, guava and mesquite[p]Preheat you Egg to a stable 250-275°
Select an appropriately size cooking vessle (chili pot) for the quantity you intend to make.[p]Open all cans and dump, liquid and all into chili pot and begin to smoke on the Egg with your wood chips/chunks[p]Fry bacon extra crisp, and crumble in chili pot
Use bacon drippings to brown ground meat and onions.
Add garlic to browning meat when there is still a tad of red remaining(garlic burns quickly) Dump this mixture into chili pot when finished (drain grease first if you care)[p]Add all other ingredients and stir thoroughly to incorporate well. Float the whole dried chilis in the pot during the cook and remove just before serving or when you have the capcaisin fix you need.[p]Continue to smoke/cook for 2 hours and stir well every 15 minutes.[p]After 2 hours, remove chili pot from Egg and use a gas burner or your kitchen range to quickly bring it up to a boil (to meld flavors) while stirring constantly. This is a good time to replenish your smoking chips/chunks on the Egg.[p]Return to Egg and cook another 1/2 hour and then serve.[p]Suggestions: serve with freshly grated cheddar cheese, thinly sliced green onions and maybe a small dollop of sour cream. I won't be bringing this stuff with me but might pick some up once I arrive. I will have a nice assortment of hot sauces.[p]There, now that I've committed myself, I sure hope this stuff comes out OK.[p]See ya at Waldorf![p]K~G[p]

Comments

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Kenny,
    What do you mean by "2 Rashers Bacon"? Two slices? Two lbs???????(Hope not!)

• Steve-O,
    I believe it is 1 slice. I searched and found this web page with a definition. I did see another definition that suggested it could be one serving, assuming 2 or 3 slices for one serving. I would guess it could mean either to different regions.[p]See the attached web page.

[ul][li]Translations/Definitions[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Just a few clarifications to this recipe: A rasher of bacon is one slice and thick cut is best. Just this low life like me trying to show that he has some culture hehehe.[p]The 50 servings mentioned are "EggFest" size - just a 5 oz. taste and a half. One batch should feed 7-8 hungry people when served with a nice fresh cornbread.[p]During the cook, and based upon the consistancy of the canned goods used, the chili might get quite thick. Simply "thin" it out with any combination of more wine, a little dark beer, or some strong beef stock (Swansons).[p]I won't sleep tonight wondering if this witches brew will come out alright.[p]See ya all at Waldorf![p]Ken
  • KennyG,
    Let us know how it comes out. It sounds like a great recipe.