Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Potato Fries

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone made Sweet Potato Fries on the BGE or maybe a standard Weber or Double barrels type grill. I’ve tried it a few times and it has real good taste but just not as firm as your standard fries.

Comments

• i make sweet potato steak fries all the time on my large egg. leave the skin on, cut long ways in to 6 pieces toss with duck fat, salt , pepper, cayenne, and on the egg at 375, indirect, till tender. the best.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC04886g.jpg

I parboil mine before slicing, and have better luck using my griddle that direct on the grate. These are regular fries, but you get the idea.... Just watch your heat and the color as the sugars coming out can darken quickly

I make another yam dish I call Pig Candied Yams that are really good too. It's in the side dish section of my site...

DSC06602JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • nice photos, thanks for info,
    about how long do you parboil? How hot?
  • What type of surface do you cook fries on?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    The time depends on the size of the pieces you start with. You could parboil the whole potato, but that would take some time..... Like for fries I would parboil halves, which may take 30 minutes. For cubes I might go with thirds, which may take 15 or 20 minutes.

You can poke them with a toothpick to judge tenderness and you only want them slightly tender. Then drain and let cool a while before slipping the skin off and cutting into the shape you want.

DSC06208JPGajpgb.jpg

Don't overlook just oiling the skin and slow cooking them until tender. They are great this way too. I plan about 1-1/2 to 2 hours for this, and if they are done early, just wrap in foil and they can rest while everything else gets ready.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery