Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby back-what went wrong

mo egg
mo egg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a med. egg went to costco and bought some baby backs to cook today.set egg to 250 seasoned baby backs and put on grill indirect 250 temp and cooked for 5 1/2 hrs. meat never did pull back from bone. dome stayed at 250 the whole cook. i did flip the ribs and spitz about ever hour with apple cider vinegar and water. i did not foil. maybe i should have. anyway the ribs didnt look like they were done. a little pink. i did check the therometer yesterday and it check out ok.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Sounds like the BB's I have been cooking and enjoying for 5+ years. It is usually called a smoke ring.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    If you want your ribs to fall off the bone foil them. The longer you foil the looser they will get. 45 min usually gets them where I want them. Just personal pref.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    How was the texture of the meat? I've found Costco ribs to be meatier than most and have had the same challenge cooking them indirect - 6 hours and still not to the delightful texture I'm used to. I've found that, for me, I'm better off cooking them direct, using a rib rack that lets them cook on edge, rather than flat. Then it's about 3 1/2 to 4 hours at 225-250. For indirect, I think you might also need a bit higher temp, closer to 275 (for whatever reason - I'm still a bit of a newbie as well)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Maybe you should have left them a little longer and/or foiled. I have been going about 6 hours with mine and occasionally I foil but not normally. I also spritz with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar. I have had some go 7 hours until the breakover test with tongs worked.

I have also found different brands cook differently - you would think a pig is a pig is a pig. I was smoking Swift Premium BBs with real good results. Then the store I frequent stopped carrying them. Bought some of the new brand they carry (Prairie Fresh or something like that) - they weren't near as lean and didn't come out as good. Picked up a couple packs at Sam's the other day and they were mightyfine.

Sorry for rambling and not answering your question but after trying a couple brands and techniques, I suspect you will be real pleased with the results.

Good luck with it.
  • I am not a expert, but instead of spending all that time, I get very good results by
    cooking direct on no more than 300. Flip
    every 5 to 6 minutes, don't need to spritz with bGE, keeps moisture in so well, after about a hour and golden brown, wrap in Plastic wrap with a little moisture, not much, then wrap in foil and put off to side
    of Pit, cook for a hour, then unwrap, put on sauce, put on pit on side, shut down egg
    and let sauce bake in, say 10 minutes or so.
    They might not fall off bone but should be tender. BullyC
  • Don't know if they were injected with a solution or not. I like to start very low and gradually bump the temp up. I like to finish at 275 before saucing. If you go to OKC I should doing a class and cooking 5 slabs.
    Don't know how far back they pulled away if any, but this was a good slab or 2. :woohoo:

ribs2.jpg

Mike
  • I pretty much follow CWMs process, http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html. I know I don't have to spritz, but it keeps me outa trouble. :laugh:

I like the results I have been getting and don't mind the time. 240 grate with plenty pecan for smoke. If you and "your judges" (I have a few around here) are happy with the results you shouldn't change a thing. :woohoo:

mo egg - once you settle on a brand and process that pleases you and "your judges" ...........

IMG_3425800x600.jpg

IMG_2963800x600.jpg

IMG_2969800x600.jpg

101_1752640x480.jpg

101_2510640x480.jpg
  • Thats what I'm talking about!! :)
  • I was just looking at your last pic. YUMMMMYYYYYY and I hardly eat ribs anymore. :woohoo:

Mike
  • We're the same. Smoked six slabs week before last. We had one, traded two slabs for 4 boxes of shells, and brought the other three to a duck camp for all the hunters. I sure like the smiles they put on peeps. :)
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Hey Mike, I can't believe you went and stole my rib pictures out of my photobucket. I'm turning you in!! Granted you taught me how to make great ribs, but you should ask before you use my photos. :)
  • Lady! I have I told you lately how funny you are? Make sure you seek egret on me. :woohoo: Tell him to bring his driver, he can't hit anything with that. :ohmy:

Mike