Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket testing

Options
"Sparky"
"Sparky" Posts: 6,024
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's a slow night so I figured that I would share my recent(non-scientific)test.I took a piece of factory felt gasket and exposed it to flame from a propane torch :( In less than a second,it was dripping on the floor :whistle:

026-6.jpg

028-6.jpg

030-6.jpg

I also did the same thing with the Rutland gasket.

006-22.jpg

008-36.jpg

009-42.jpg

013-26.jpg

It's still intact,and it stayed in the fire for at least 8 seconds :whistle: I took four pics of it,and when I removed it from the heat,it was glowing :blink:I know that this is a comparison,but there have been many so,what the heck,I was bored :whistle::lol:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Yup, fiberglass like material, has a higher heat threshold then felt.

What about Nomex?

Here is the picture I posted last year using propane canister - MAPP is hotter. Same results.

gasket_bge.jpg

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

On the last picture of yours, I would think with ceramic backing there would be even less damage to the Rutland.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    After 1 year and 1/2 of constant abuse mine is pretty much toast after night b4 last pizza. Courious if any one has tryed to toast the Nomax and how it did?
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Hey Kent,I was just bored and playing with fire :woohoo: My local dealer was out of Nomex today,and I didn't have any,so I'll have to try again later :lol: BTW,I must have missed your post,I've only been here a year :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Interesting, I thought you have been on a lot longer than that...

I've got some Nomex here, I will measure it for my large, if there is some extra I will take a torch to it and post some pictures.

I know a few people have installed the nomex w/adhesive and 3M 77. I just don't want to go through the install 2 times. So I have frozen it, lightly torched it in order to get the adhesive strip off of it. There has been no change during those efforts.

Kent
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I look forward to seeing your results Kent,and yes,I'm still new here,although I've been eggin for five yrs now :blush:;)
  • belle's dad
    Options
    I am curious too. I just ordered a Nomax gasket from our new, and, one only dealer. He has been selling gas grills for years and suddenly got smart. He doesn't know beans (trying to nice) about the Egg. Tried to give him some clues on where to learn. Not sure he listened to what I told him. Oh well, tried to help. His inventory consists of one medium and some fire starters.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, Fl
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    Gordon, see if there is a Pinch a Penny pool store in Vero. I know the one here in Sebastian is a dealer. Not sure if there is one down by you.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Chappy: We have a Pinch A Penny, who I use every week to test my pool. They are not a dealer, but, were one a one time. Got PO'd at Mothership and quit. I have been in the Sebastian store. Are they not working through the Palm Bay dealer, rather than being an actual dealer? Haven't looked on BGE's site to find out. It's good to have someone close on the forum. Thanks for responding.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, Fl
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    That's an interesting picture to see what little damage 8 seconds of direct propane flame did to a Rutland gasket. Here's a photo of what 5 YEARS of use on a BGE did to my Rutland!
    IMG_0383.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • flatso
    flatso Posts: 24
    Options
    Ferrell Gas in Stuart is where I got my egg through another forum member AL who lives up there. I talked to Paul several times over the phone and he helped me out quite a bit.

I live down in Hollywood Beach and dealt with him up there in Stuart.
  • flatso
    flatso Posts: 24
    Options
    Ferrell Gas in Stuart is where I got my egg through another forum member AL who lives up there. I talked to Paul several times over the phone and he helped me out quite a bit.

I live down in Hollywood Beach and dealt with him up there in Stuart.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    belle's dad wrote:
    Chappy: We have a Pinch A Penny, who I use every week to test my pool. They are not a dealer, but, were one a one time. Got PO'd at Mothership and quit. I have been in the Sebastian store. Are they not working through the Palm Bay dealer, rather than being an actual dealer? Haven't looked on BGE's site to find out. It's good to have someone close on the forum. Thanks for responding.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, Fl

He is working through the Palm Bay store. Everytime I buy some RO lump the price has gone up. I wonder if Walmart carries it here.