Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket Help

edited 9:01AM in EggHead Forum
I put a 5-lb. brisket on this a.m. at 0645, intending to Egg it at 240-350 degrees for about 10-12 hours. We are planning to eat at about 1930 this evening; guest will be joining us for dinner. Well, it's now 1215 (5.5 hrs into the cook) and the internal temp is already at 185. I recently calibrated the dome thermometer and have held the dome temp below 250 the entire time. I was thinking it would level off at about 150 - 160 degrees, but it hasn't. I've cut back the dome temp to 200, but the internal temp is still rising. I know I'll have to take it off when it reaches 190-195. What do I do to keep it edible at 1930 today? Thanks for your help/suggestions.
·

Comments

• ChuckChuck Posts: 812
    Jerr,[p]You have probably slowed the process down but it still sounds like it will be done early. Not a problem, wrap it in foil, then wrap in towels and put in in a cooler until you are ready. I haven't done this with brisket but have done it with butts and ribs so it should work fine with your brisket. [p]Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

·
  • Elder WardElder Ward Posts: 330
    Jerr,
    Listen to Chuck he is given great advise.
    Elder Ward

·
  • PCO3PCO3 Posts: 50
    Jerr,
    I too had the same experience. I put a 5 lb'er on at 8 pm and it was done by 12:45am (glad I stayed up). The meat never stalled in the 165 degree range as anticipated. I have actually started to log my cook time, dome and meat temp. This is a practice I did when I used to home brew beer. At 12:45am I took off when meat reached an internal temp of 205 degrees and I double wrapped in foil and double wrapped in towels and placed into a cooler until around 7 am when I awoke. It was a wonderful breakfast!!! The brisket was perfect; my boss had some at the Ohio State tailgate for the Spring Game yesterday and asked what I was doing still working for him. Frankly, going forward I am not going to worry about the 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per lb. rule. That maybe more applicable to larger briskets of 10 lbs and more. I go straight by internal temp anyway. If it stalls it stalls, if not no biggie. Don't worry, have a BBQ!!! Hope that helps with some similar results you had.

·