Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon - What smoke??

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy.
Sick twins at home, so I decided when they nap, I would cook me up a filet mignon. It is thawing now, and I was planning on finishing the thaw in some smoke. I have a craving for smoke. I have apple, hickory, pecan, oak, alder and mesquite. Oh yeah, and Tim M brought me up some JD chips. (He comes bearing gifts!!)[p]Any suggestions??[p]Thanks
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Forget the smoke on the Filet. Grill them up high and fast with Kosher Salt and Tellichary Pepper only. [p]As for the smoke, pick up some ribs, butts or briskets and smoke them.[p]Read my post on the filet that I over the weekend. [p]If you do end up smoking the filets, go with either the oak or the alder. They are less intrusive flavors and will compliment the meat rather than overpower it as hickory would.[p]When is Lunch?
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I recently tried red oak with beef for the first time & loved it.[p]Hope the girls feel better soon -[p]Cathy
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I did a couple over the week-end with Misquite and they were out of this world. I had trouble with my fire (lump was probably damp) When the dome finally reached 200* I put 2 large handfuls of dry misquite chips on the fire then threw the steaks in. Knowing how forgiving the egg is I figured something would come out in eatible form. After about 15 minutes of heavy smoke the temp started to rise and got up to 550* as the misquite ignited. I let the steaks sear after smoking for 15 minutes for about 3 minutes per side and then closed the egg up in the usual fashion for about 7-8 minutes. They came out on the medium well side (only slightest of pink) and were some of the best I have done to date. Even accidents have a great outcome using the BGE.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    before I look at the other posts, I'll give you my $ .02 worth. Go for the Pecan or the JD. If you had white oak, that would be good too! The pecan will give you a mild, mellow smoke that is unbelievable on a good cut like that![p]Let us know what you do![p]Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You're gonna' get the "I'm in my minimalist phase of cooking" answer as that's where I'm coming from lately. I cooked some figgy miggys last week and just put a good thick cracked pepper crust on them, seared them about 4 minutes a side then dwelled for about 8 if memory serves me correctly. They were wonderful. No smoke chunks added either, just fresh lump.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Yeah, I know they are GREAT without smoke, but my mind is made up that I want to pour some smoke to this bad boy. You and Cat both mention oak, and I have done mesquite already Like Bob mentioned) and it was great. [p]I have some nice chunks of red oak. Red oak it is!
    And Kosher Salt and Tellicherry sounds perfect.
    Thanks for the promt advice y'all.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Thanks. I bet Pecan would be great! 3 of y'all have mentioned oak, so there are big points leaning that way. I'll let you know how it is.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Thanks. I agree, minimalist is good. But variety is also shweeeet! Last time I did them as you mention. For some reason, that 2 inch thick filet is screaming out SMOKE. SMOKE. I am stuck on this one![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Bob,
    Sounds great. I love mesquite on steaks, but that is all I have been using! Like you did, I plan on trying the 550 technique on this beauty. The recent talk of this method has me curious. [p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You have a good selection of woods to pick from and it was the only one you don't have. Hope you enjoy it.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    It was awesome! I poured the red oak smoke to it for 30 minutes, at 150 on the large egg, while junior achieved 550. Seared 4 minutes a side, and dwelled for 8 minutes. Perfect tenderness, nice complimentary smoke flavor. Yum. The very center was quite rare, but the rest was a perfect shade of pink. I saved the center portion for a sauteed steak/onion sammich. Needless to say, it was swimming in juices.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Next time you're unsure what to do with a fine steak like that, may I recommend this technique:
    rub down with kosher salt and your telichery pepper,
    seal up in your new vacuum pack system
    do quick freeze in dry ice
    the Fed-Ex it up to me in Canada :)
    Just a 'suggestion'.
    Sounded wonderful with the slow smoke to start. Will have to try that one!

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    How thick were they? I supposed you cross hatched them so they looked like something out of a magazine. Oh man I'm getting hungry. Bought two tenderloins on sale at Kroger at $5.99 per. Can't wait.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I like that idea too! Only send it over dis way. It'll get here faster and it won't cost as much![p]Dr. chicken

• Nature Boy
    Options
    MAC,
    A full 2 inches thick. Yep. Crosshatched and purty.
    $5.99 is a serious bargain. Happy tenderness
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Uhhhh. I think my foodsaver is broken. Sorry!
    Dang.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Darn! Ya all ever see a grown man cry! sniff! sniff!