Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef sticks and jerky: what are your favorites?

WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have long been a huge fan of jerky and snack sticks. I started out as a kid by eating the usual stuff: slim jims, jerky snuff in a can, jerky strips, nuggets, and even beef stick ropes that were 8' long. These were great at the time but I eventually realized that most retail packaged products were too dry, greasy, fatty, salty, gristly, etc. and some brands just plain tasted terrible.

The absolute worst brand that I ever tried was so bad that even my dog would not eat it, which was really odd because that dog ate anything and everything including furniture. I actually filmed a short video of him spitting out this product, throwing it in the woods, and burying some of it in the back yard. I sent this to the CEO of the company and he was so concerned that he called to apologize then sent me a decent check as compensation for my suffering. :)

Over the years I made it a point to try nearly every brand and product that I could find, including everything from the expensive mail-order exotic meat products (ostrich, gator, emu, bison, elk, etc.) to homemade products that were sold at local delis or flea markets. I even went through a phase of making my own with various dehydrators and my own spice recipes.

I am now somewhat of a jerky connoisseur and I have settled on a few favorites that are so good that I haven't tried any other products for the last few years. Many on this forum are also meat addicts so I am going to share my current favorites and ask for your top picks as well. Maybe I will be inspired to try something new or find a new favorite. Here goes:

Beef Jerky:

I like my jerky to be somewhat moist and reasonably tender but still a little chewy with a packaged shelf life of at least 2-3 months. Most retail products are very dry and/or taste bad because they make them to last much longer on the shelf. Deli or homemade products often require refrigeration and this is inconvenient so a middle ground is ideal. I also like to switch back and forth to different flavors since I eat it pretty often. My current favorite is made by Medina Foods in Litchfield, OH but they are a private label manufacturer so they sell their products to hundreds of other companies and distributors that re-label them with various brand names. The brand name which I purchase is Troyer Old Fashion Beef Jerky which is sold by Troyer Cheese, a company that specializes in Amish food products most of which they make themselves. I liked this jerky so much that I shared it with family, friends, and coworkers and many of them are now addicted as well. We pitch in and place a bulk order about once a month - typically 50 lbs. of jerky in various flavors that are all excellent. Our group favorites are Mild, Spicy, Black Pepper Honey, and Sweet BBQ. Troyer prices are a little high but they gave us a dealer account and the wholesale discount is great.

Beef Snack Sticks:

I do not like snack sticks that are too moist or fatty or that contain bits of gristle, bone, or other foreign substances. A little moisture is ok but the meat should still have a firm texture and the casing should be dry to the touch for easy handling. Various flavors are good but I prefer something with a pretty basic taste and maybe just a little heat or smoke flavor. My current favorite is made by a "retired" couple that runs a 600+ acre farm in Kentucky. Their company name is Scott Hams and they travel to flea markets all over the US to sell their products which is how I met them. Their snack sticks are just plain awesome, good flavor with a slightly smoked taste, no junk added. I now order from them via phone or email and they give us a bulk discount as well. Very nice people too so it is always a pleasure to talk with them.

Let us know what your favorite brands are. If you have a good recipe for making your own then by all means share, however I prefer to buy my snacks and save the egg time for my main meals. When I used to make jerky I found that the time invested wasn't worth the reward. Maybe it could be different on the egg.

Comments