Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini Gasket....

Basscat
Basscat Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, replaced the gasket on the new Mini and have a few cooks on it, and it's looking good with tonight's Buffalo burgers...

BuffaloBurgers.jpg

Hopefully It's fixed. And for the record, the Mini is the easiest grill I have ever used for small quantities. I love this thing! If I just had a cast iron grid to fix those grill marks.....

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Basscat,I agree,the mini is awesome :woohoo: Here's my homemade cast iron grid and platesetter ;)

009-34.jpg

011-24.jpg

001-37.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    a cast iron grate for a mini isn't all that difficult to make if you have the tools. I made my cast iron grate for my small BGE years ago plus that for 3 other eggers. One for a mini would be easier.
    IMG_00851.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Basscat
    Wow! Those are really cool! Bet that make for one versatile little cooker. I might have to look at this as an opportunity to get some new power tools.....
  • Basscat
    Nice. What did cut it from?
  • I agree - the min is a very versatile product and i use if for most of my cooks, leaving my large for big jobs.

For my cast iron grid I bought a replacement grid for a gasser, traced a pattern, and then took an angle grinder to it. The whole process was less than 30 minutes beginning to end.

The blank:

Outline.jpg

All set to trace the pattern with the original grid:

Outlinewithoriginal.jpg

The finished product (almost exactly like RRP's grid):

Finishedgrill.jpg

I also got tjv from this forum to make me a mini wooring. It is about an inch high and is extremely useful for things like chicken where you want to make sure the meat is sufficiently far from the coals.
  • One thing I should note is that I had originally planned on making a larger mini grid because the stock grid is of significantly small diameter than the diamter of the inner egg wall Hence the larger diameter white circle on the penultimate pic). As it turns out I trimmed it to be the same diameter as the original gid because I frequently like to sear my steak close to the coals (hence I removed the fire ring).
  • I have a mini in which i'm itching to bring to work anyone else takes their mini to work to cook on???
  • Basscat
    Cool! I have a Mini Woo too, an inch and a half. Have a game hen on it right now! It's great.
  • Basscat
    And it's done.....

GameHenMini.jpg

Love the Mini and the Woo. Game hen wasn't bad either ;)