Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg user question spatchcock chicken

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying a spatchcock chicken for the first time. This is going to be my second cook. When lighting the grill do you want all the coals to be lit/glowing red before you attempt to cook? Also I am cooking this direct heat correct?

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    All you need is lit lump, the right egg temp, and lump having burned long enough to get rid of the white, nasty smelling smoke.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    OOPS, I forgot the direct heat question. You can go direct or indirect. If you go direct you will need a raised grid, otherwise the outside will most likely be burned by the time the inside is cooked.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    If you have a raised grid then yes direct. If not then go indirect.

You want just enough coals lit to get the temp you're trying to achieve.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    That sucks about the raised grid. I was at my shop today working on a cart for my egg (pictures will be up this week). My plate setter is there, and I don't have a raised grid. Should I try to use foil underneath the bird to try to deflect some heat?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Harleydog77,

You don't have to raise the grid to go direct. You can raise the grid by putting three or four pieces of something non flammable on the fire ring. Firebricks work great but you can use brick pieces, plumbing couplings on end or old shot glasses. Whatever you can find as long as they are equal in size.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I doubt that foil will be thick or sturdy enough. If you have one of those disposable aluminum foil pans maybe you could rig up something by strapping one under your food grid with wire, peices of coat hangers, or something along that line. Otherwise you can cook it indirect. At 350 indirect it will take about 90 minutes. It will be super juicy, but the skin will be rubbery.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey dog,do you have anything like this laying around the house?A few of these will raise the grid ;)

001-13.jpg
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Yeah I thought of trying to rig something up. I'm sure that by the time I am a veteran at this I will have a whole arsenal of homemade stuff that I can't do without. Well I'm trying to go with the standard height grid with foil triple layered under the bird. I will let you know how it works out. Also when you do shrimp on the egg do you cook them really short and hot, or try to throttle the temp back and cook them a little slower?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I cook em about 350 dome maybe 5-7 min.

DSC_0014_edited.jpg

Try AZRP Spicey shrimp in the recipe section. MMMMmmmMMMMMmmmMMMMM.

DSC_0016_edited.jpg
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Thanks Mike those shrimp look amazing. I'll try them sometime. I kind of made my own marinade for the shrimp. If they turn out well I'll share the recipe.