Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Pork (Wild Hog) and Black Bean Stew

EGCEGC Posts: 448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Used one ham of a wild hog to make this delicious stew. The recipe should work with pork, chicken or beef, I would guess. I started by cutting up the ham (not cured, but brined) into 1 inch pieces, and rolled them in flour with salt and pepper.

DSC_0127.jpg

I browned these pieces in olive oil,

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

then cooked two onions and a red pepper in the remnants of the oil and flour -- it was basically a roux.

DSC_0128.jpg

Next I added 3 TBS of mined garlic, a can of green chiles, a large can a peeled roma tomatoes, 2 cans of seasoned black beans, 4 TBS of chili powered and 3 TBS of cumin. I stirred it around and added a beer, then topped with two dried ancho chiles. Simmered on the egg for four hours over cherry smoke.

DSC_0130.jpg

I will make this again with some domestic meats, but will jazz it up a bit with some additional seasonings.

DSC_0132.jpg

Comments