Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings: Are they that popular in your area ?

Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Down here in Florida there are no wings to be found. Seems like every year for Super Bowl all the wings are gone. This year was even worst, a distributor for wings went out of business for the restaurants.

Hot Wings are so popular then most pick foods they go fast. The wife and I was out yesterday shopping and found none until we went to this off the wall little market, and they had 2 packages left of wings with 6 per pack. Now the big thing is they wanted 3.89 per pound for them. Guess where they are still sitting. Enjoy the game today and have fun.

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I saw a bunch at a local gourmet market/ butcher in Tampa on Sat. They were getting about $2 lb. I guess the free market economy was at work in your area.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    At home in Maine not so big a deal. We get down here in Florida we were surprised at a couple of restaurants that had opened in the area that were just wings. LOL we will be doing wings tonight on our poor egg.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I think that the nation's largest poultry producer filed for bankruptcy a couple months ago plays into the shortage and overpricing a bit.

But to answer your question, wings are very popular here. I buy a lot when they are on sale and keep them in the freezer. They cook up fine after being frozen.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Same here..they are such a quick cook with so little prep that I try to keep a couple doz in the freezer all the time..
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    I have not been to the store today but I bet none to be found around here either and tyson is just up the road. I got a few packs the other day. I am pretty addicted to wings, enough that I treat them like a staple around here.
  • There was an article on some main stream media site a few weeks ago that a a couple big poultry firms went bankrupt and a few large restaurants in Buffalo were not able to keep the demand.

So not only is there a demand crunch but I am sure prices will follow.
  • LRL
    LRL Posts: 12
    We have wings 1-2 times a week in our house.I normally
    pick up the Perdue 36 packs at BJs for $1.79/Pound.Went over yesterday to pick up a few packs and they were out.First time I can remember that happening.Anyway Im sure we will get by on the back ribs they did have in stock. Plenty of spares too.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I second that, defrosting wings this mornin.
  • Anyone have a good recipe on grilling wings on the egg?
  • Costco was well-stocked on the pre-sauced Tyson frozen wings on Saturday, and in fact giving out free samples.

I have to confess the appeal of wings eludes me. To me they're just way greasy and there's not much food there for all the work. But, it's a free country...each to his own, and that leaves more pulled pork for me! :laugh:

As to wings recipes, the forum cookbook offers eight recipes by my count. Choose your poison!
  • Fidel
    Pre-sauced....*gasp*...surely you jest. You can't have success with those.

Costco sells a six pack of shrink wrapped packages, each containing 6 whole wings - so 36 wings total but pre-sectioned into 6 different packs. They go right in the freezer. Usually right at or under a buck a pound.

As for recipe, I am trying a new one today. They are marinating for 6 hours in this marinade:

1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic

I am going to take them out of the marinade and place on a baking sheet to dry for 2 hours in the fridge. Then I will dust with a little rub - probably Swamp Venom. Then I am going to cook them at 350* direct on a raised grid (rig top rack) with only a little lump in the bottom - trying to get 12-15" above the heat.

Then I am going to toss in some Anchor Bar wing sauce, set back on the grid for 5 minutes, toss in sauce again, and serve.
  • it caused a pretty fair jump in the price of wings. They had already been trending upward for 2 years or so but they've really jumped up now.

I suppose wings are as popular as ever around here (TN). Plenty of franchise type restaurants that "specialize" in them. Too bad none of them can cook them worth a crap. Without fail you almost always get wings that are some combination of too small, not hot enough, too greasy, not enough flavor, too hot, terrible flavor, etc.

Great wings aren't that hard to make but people eat a sub par product so most of those places won't change.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    PBM,
    Here in eastern, PA a locally owned chain of stores, Redner's Warehouse Markets, had wings on sale last week for 99 cents per pound. They're in foam trays of about 16 wings each. Of course, I stocked up for today's game plus a bunch for the freezer. They run that special every few months. I know I bought some around the holidays.
    To answer your question, wing are popular. Many local restaurants have "wing nights" on a specific night each week where they serve "all the wings you can eat". Often buffet style with warming trays of wings in a variety of flavors.
    Sorry for the essay :blush: . Too much info???
    Brian
  • There was a very good supply at my local grocery store in Dorothy Lane Market in Dayton, OH. They area hormone and antibiotic free, free range chicken wings for $2.69 a lb. They are meaty and not ladden with water.I bought 4 dozen wings and they had about 30 other packages of a dozen wings. I going to use the fishlessman method today.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Hey mike

We have a chain selling them is actually called Las Alitas (wings)...they are real good.......never done them on the egg though.....any recipe suggestions?? enjoy the game..
  • Rod, that looks like a mighty fine recipe. I just wish I liked wings enough to enjoy it! And you're right, the free samples at Costco certainly didn't encourage me to buy the pre-sauced version in big Tyson frozen bags.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Returning to the OP, Charleston has plenty of wing specialty restaurants, and lots of college students and sports fans keep 'em busy. I'm also reminded of the "Wing Zone" franchise, which offers home delivery of wings in your choice of 25 different flavors.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Which of their sauces do u like the best?
  • Fidel
    I like the one they label as "hotter". It really isn't that hot, but has a bit more kick than the original.

I also have some of their "suicidal" - and I'm here to tell you it's hot. Real hot.

I get to Buffalo a few times a year usually, and I always go to the Anchor Bar and eat wings and pick up a few bottles of sauce. It really is the best in my book.