Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings direct or indirect?

Options
Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It looks like most here do their wings direct (for example the dizzy method), but mine always end up burnt when I try to do them direct. Maybe its because I don't bread my wings, but like I said they don't seem to come out as good for me as they do when I do them indirect. I typically do mine indirect for a few hours, then remove, spread a thin layer of sauce on them, then return direct to finish them off/make them crispy. Any suggestions on an easier way to do wings would be appreciated.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I almost always do mine indirect, but today I am going to go direct. And I don't care for breaded wings myself.

If you go direct you will have better results if you use less lump and a raised grid - get the wings 12-15" above the heat source.

I toss mine in sauce and put them back on for 5-10 minutes at most. Any longer and I think you risk some burning.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I do mine raised direct (the higher the better) and use a small fire. Pit temp is 250/275.

I also really like the leg/wing racks, but you do have to buy and prep whole wings.

DSC02349a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    in my humble opinion is to grill them via direct heat until they are about 95% done. This of course is an approximation, but you get the idea.

Then drop them in 380 degree oil for no more than 60 seconds. This method will deliver the great flavor from grilling and the perfect texture as well.

Finish by tossing in a sauce of your choice.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Both ways are good with me. Today I'll cook indirect then finish direct with sauce mopping.
    I'm starting to get hungrrrrrrrry.
    BGEBuffaloWings0002.jpg
    BGESweetChickenWings0007.jpg
    BGEwings7_06009.jpg
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Those are some good lookin' wings.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I am on board with the direct folks. But I like 275 for an hour and a half. Wings are on the menu today.
    Cheers!
    chris

wings.jpg
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Those look great Chris, hope ya enjoy the game. I'm not into sports at all but am going to the pub to see my girls and friends. Got my ear plugs with me. LOL

Will probably take my laptop so I have something to do. Hope the Cards win so I'm not around a bunch of grumpy friens. :laugh:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Enjoy the commercials anyways!
    Have fun mang.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have done em both ways. There are probably as many ways as there are Eggers. I have settled on indirect with sugar cane smoke on wings that just have some seasoning on them - no sauce. Lately I have also stuffed them with blue cheese and sausage.

IMG_2977800x600.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We brought some nice jerk seasoning back from Jamaica and as much as I love my D.P. (LOL) we are going to give it a try. Julie
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Someone posted a while back with some really good ideas about cooking wings. He used very little lump and got them as high as possible, away from the fire. Also, open the daisy wheel as much as possible for the temp. desired. He also used a lower temp and the cook time was a little over two hours. He seasoned them and put them in the fridge for several hours. All this was to crisp up the skin. It worked like a champ.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan