Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts cooking much quicker than expected

Options
Sun Devil Brett
Sun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, here's what's happening. I put two boneless butts on about 3:30, temp holding nice at 237 grate. Left at 5:00 temp still holding, got back at 10:00 temp has ramped up a bit to 270 but my internal temps on both are 172 and 174. I know I have a plateau to go through but this seems pretty quick. I didn't just go by my polders, I thermapend each in a few places and temps were the same. I'm discombobulated. Brett Each butt was around 7.5 lbs. Thanks

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    sounds about right to me....

sorry but i have seen them go fast and slow.. your next step is how to work this into your "plan"

1st figure WHEN you are going to serve.

2nd decide how to deal with it either keep it hot or chill it and re-warm

if you are going to keep it hot for more than 6 hours then it will dry out so you will have to add "flavorful" liquid during the time

if more than 6 hours chill it and rewarm in an oven wrapped in foil with "flavorful liquid"

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Yea , I've never had this happen before. Did one about the same size last week and I had a good 12 hour cook on it. Oh well, I have to deal with what is in front of me. I'm staying up through the plateau and until 195 or so. I do the double foil and towel in a cooler, but how long can I keep in there until I pull? I would usually keep in a couple of hours. What's the limit before I have to pull and then put in the fridge. Thanks, Brett
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i would keep it whole and rewarm whole with some coke (nothing but coke classic) then pull it... it will rewarm with no ill affects (to the meat) and you don't have to worry so much... just put it in the cooler or fridge.. then 2 morrow when you get up put a coule oz of coke in and put in the oven.. wrapped in foil of course :blink: then come game time or before you can pull it...

you can set your oven on 200 for hours or 350 for less hours and still end up with the same thing just watch your time you dont have to go back to 200 (internal) again just get it warm enough to serve and not make anyone sick :sick: people don't like that for some reason :laugh: good luck and

GO STEELERS!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips. But I have to say GO CARDS. I do live in Phoenix, and trust me rooting for them the last 19 or so years has not been pleasant. But this Sunday should be fun. Throw it to Larry, throw it to Larry. B) Thanks again, have a good SUPER BOWL SUNDAY, Brett